I've been using the Lenovo Y500 for 6 months now and I have noticed a weird issue:
Is it possible that the laptop's metal housing is collecting static energy?
When using the laptop for more than 30 mins, moving my palm above the laptop's surface has a really weird effect. It's like rubbing my hand over a rough surface and if I continue rubbing my hand for a minute, the roughness goes away for another 30 mins.
The laptop has been opened before for an SSD upgrade.
there could be some static electricity left in your laptop after you had opened the memory access panel. i once called dell tech support regarding my laptops dying battery and he told me to do the following to discharge static:
first take out the battery and disconnect the charger. now press and keep the power button of the laptop for approximately 30s. now reinstall the battery and power up. according to him this should remove any static charge from your laptop.
I know this method discharges my laptop, but it seems to build up while the laptop is running.
It's not a big issue, I just find it weird and a bit absurd.