Laptop connects to router, but no internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

calad

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
My laptop has had an issue for a while where it will connect to any network without much issue however it will only grant local access, no internet access. It is running on vista, and i have attempted many fixes to no avail

-control panel > network connections > wireless network connection > properties > automatically obtain IP adress for both IPv4 and IPv6

-disabled, deleted, or removed all firewall programs that may interfere with internet access (User account Controls, windows firewall, old antivirus program)

-Cleared the network from available networks and manually setup the connection

-Internet access works when connected via ethernet cable

-Issue happens with all networks i attempt to connect to wirelessly

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

If its a multi antenna unit it may have enough signal to connect to the network, but too low to actually do anything with the connection. Like my Laptop has 3 antennas built in.

calad

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Correct. Laptop is a dell inspiron 1520, i believe the wireless adapter is an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. It seems that when i turn the "wireless switch" on on the left side of the laptop the little LED light doesn't light up. Perhaps i need a new wireless adapter?

calad

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

If that were the case wouldn't it also have trouble just connecting to the router, not just having limited access when connected to the router?

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

If its a multi antenna unit it may have enough signal to connect to the network, but too low to actually do anything with the connection. Like my Laptop has 3 antennas built in.

calad

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

The signal usually has 4 or 5 bars from the router, does that make things any different?

marbski

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
try to reinstall the wireless driver for your dell laptop, if nothing happened something wrong with the hardware for your wireless ....

calad

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

I've reinstalled the drivers a couple times, I suppose ill be hitting newegg soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 1
W Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 4
N Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1