Solved! Laptop Conundrum - Need help picking a laptop

gladyxtian18

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Good day to you all.

I am currently looking into buying a laptop sometime around April this year. I basically narrowed it down to two units.

1. MSI GE72MVR APACHE PRO-001
2. ASUS ROG STRIX GL702VS-DS74 17.3"

On paper, the ASUS looks more promising as it has 256GB more SSD Storage as well as G-sync. The pricing is close to each other (this is in the Philippines so pricing from your perspective may differ)

Seems like a no brainer until I looked at reviews. The ASUS laptop runs really hot. around 95C hot during games with demanding titles. I'm a bit worried that the laptop will throttle all the time or just die from too much heat. Some people claim to have tamed the heat by putting the fans at max RPM (I dont mind the noise) and undervolting the CPU though this only brings it down to about 85C

So my question is:
1. Do i get the MSI instead even though it has a 120Hz display and no G-sync?
2. Should i get the ASUS instead and just live with the undervolted CPU and 85C. Not sure if 85 is fine during heavy gaming sessions.

Solution
Have we read the same reviews? MSI ASUS :) ?

Undervolting the CPU makes no sense to me, you could simply buy a laptop with a weaker processor, not to mention, throttling limits the GPU as well, as they are in the same enclosure.

If I were you I would look for another Asus laptop with better thermals and G-sync or go with the MSI.

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018
Have we read the same reviews? MSI ASUS :) ?

Undervolting the CPU makes no sense to me, you could simply buy a laptop with a weaker processor, not to mention, throttling limits the GPU as well, as they are in the same enclosure.

If I were you I would look for another Asus laptop with better thermals and G-sync or go with the MSI.

Solution

gladyxtian18

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

Being in the Philippines doesn't make it easy to pick out laptops as pickings are slim here. I really don't want to order a $2000+ laptop online and have it arrive here DOA. So I'm really down to picking either of the two.

One other concern i have with the MSI one is it has 120hz but not G-sync. Wouldn't that be bad since not all games are gonna hit 120hz even if i get a 1070 variant.

Ive been reading a lot and there isn't much of an issue with undervolting as this won't do permanent damage (so ive learned from reading forums and posts) only stability issues if voltage goes down too low. I really don't want to open up the laptop to fix the probably subpar thermal grease used since it will be brand new and id hate to lose warranty right away.

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018

In most games you can select 60Hz max frame rates or use afterburner software to cap your frames. So a 120Hz display is no problem.

Undervolting is not dangerous. I just find it a waste of money and potential. A mobile 1070 and an i5 could do the same. They both have a core count of 4.

gladyxtian18

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

Agreed. An I5 would do the same. But as i've mentioned, being in the Philippines does not give me a lot of options. Choices here are either low-medium end laptops (i5s with 1050s or 1050ti) or higher end models (i7s with 1070 or 1080s)

Id rather buy an i7 with a 1070 than an i5 and a 1060 since I would be able to play games longer before i have to buy a new one due to games becoming more and more demanding.

I have read the reviews. Temps are bad with the Asus variant but i've seen people get better temps by undervolting. Though I understand that the silicon lottery comes to play here and some might get better results in undervolting than I would.