Laptop CPU frequency drops while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggarwal.yash2011

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
(First post here)
I have been recently getting freq drops while gaming. Even a fresh install of windows didnt fix it. I also opened the laptop and cleaned the dust using cotton swaps, but that made no difference. I monitored the cpu using HW monitor:
eHAPNEU.png

I have power settings at high performance. I tried cpu stress test but there was no frequency drop during that, and the temp was constant at 70 degrees.
This is causing fps drops and everything literally unplayable. I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thanks

Solution
It looks like you are thermal throttling. See how every time the clock speed drops it is when the temperature, CPU load, and power are highest.

It does this when the active cooling is not sufficient. This is how cell phones cool themselves off too.

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
It looks like you are thermal throttling. See how every time the clock speed drops it is when the temperature, CPU load, and power are highest.

It does this when the active cooling is not sufficient. This is how cell phones cool themselves off too.

Solution

aggarwal.yash2011

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

It recently started a week ago, otherwise it was fine before that. What would you suggest I do?
My specs:
i5-7200
nvidia 940mx
8gb ram

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

I would try cleaning if that has not been done. Be careful doing it though as many of these threads start with the line "I just cleaned my PC and..."

aggarwal.yash2011

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Thanks. I have already tried cleaning the fan with cotton swabs, I will try with vacuum cleaner now. Will have to buy a cooling pad otherwise I guess

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

NO NO VACUUM

:no:

Get a can of compressed air, the vacuum generates a ton of static and may even suck too hard

aggarwal.yash2011

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Alright thanks for the warning, compressed air it is then

Status
Not open for further replies.