Laptop CPU usage too low

Aug 1, 2018
I don't know how to explain this, but I will try my best.

My laptop has not been working properly recently, when the laptop is idle the cpu usage randomly jumps to a 100%, sometimes stays like that for a minute then it goes down to 1% and the same thing happens over and over again. But when I play games like CSGO it always uses only 20% of the cpu and the game lags a lot. My Laptop is a HP 250 G4 with 4GBs of RAM and a i3-4005U CPU. I know I didn't explain the problem well, but maybe there's a way to fix the low CPU usage, because I can't do much when games like CSGO run at 20fps when it used to run at a stable 100.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
First if you can find some DDR3 ram.. you should have more.. though I would not spend much..

that laptop is very SLOW you fit the min requirements for CPU.. the GPU you have (not sure exactly being that laptop has 3 different versions I found) needs min 2GB ram for the video..

With a slow CPU like the one you have its pretty normal to jump to 100% when idle as a lot of programs (like antivirus) will only use the computer once you are idle. so it does not cause issues when you are actually using it. I would watch and see what program is actually using 100% of your cpu though to be sure its not a virus.

IF you add more ram (like get 8GB total) you should be able to up the Video ram in bios.. but I am not 100% sure the HP laptop lets...

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
First if you can find some DDR3 ram.. you should have more.. though I would not spend much..

that laptop is very SLOW you fit the min requirements for CPU.. the GPU you have (not sure exactly being that laptop has 3 different versions I found) needs min 2GB ram for the video..

With a slow CPU like the one you have its pretty normal to jump to 100% when idle as a lot of programs (like antivirus) will only use the computer once you are idle. so it does not cause issues when you are actually using it. I would watch and see what program is actually using 100% of your cpu though to be sure its not a virus.

IF you add more ram (like get 8GB total) you should be able to up the Video ram in bios.. but I am not 100% sure the HP laptop lets you adjust that in bios. that in itself will help with speed and such when you play that game and just about everything else. I just tossed out (I used to save them) but a bunch of DDR2 and 3 ram (some laptop ram)... I would ask around if you have some friends or family for some DDR3 IF you know how to add ram that is..

Other then that good luck and it would help if you posted your full computer specs as well. also make sure the fans work, and its not clogged up with dust as that will slow a CPU down because of heat.

Solution