Solved! Laptop crashes when overheating, single color screen

Dec 26, 2018
Hello,

I recently have been gifted with a Dell Inspiron 1764, as my previous laptop had unfortunately died. It originally belonged to my uncle, and it has never been used for months ever since he got a new battery for it, cleaned out the inside from dust, and installed fresh windows. It was cleaned again of dust after I got it, but otherwise it has not been internally tampered with (stock clock, etc).

Runs day to day browsing well, but after long sessions (5+ hours) and only 30 mins of low end gaming, such as MoP WoW at lowest possible settings and Oldschool Runescape, the whole thing crashes. All of a sudden in the middle of gameplay without warning, the screen turns into a single solid color, and all I can hear is a weird static-like and warbly noise. Pressing any key or button gives no feedback, and all I can really do is either wait for it to turn off by itself, usually after 10 mins, or force shutdown with the power button.

I think it may be the heat, but my previous laptop performed worse, had higher temps, yet still ran through without any sort of crash like this. Is there any possible way to fixing this?

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2018

Definitely overheating. Is it because its trying to save itself and telling you to stop, or is it just damage?