Laptop died suddenly

Fahmi Naz

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
Okay so my laptop is dead for about three days. I cant figure out the cause, as i tested my charger with a test pen, and the light turns on (idk if the metal around the output conduct the electricity). Okay so i assume the charger is fine. Then i tried using test pen on motherboard power "jack" (i assume). It seems like there is power since some "fire" burst out a little. But my laptop wont turn on, the charging indicator also doesnt light up. I've tried something like hard reset though.

Help me, thanks.

Solution
Yes, your adapter may be faulty, you should check if the voltage from the adapter is correct. Until you know that the adapter provides the correct voltage, we can only speculate what the problem is.

Fahmi Naz

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

But before it's working just fine. Does the voltage can dropped in sudden?

dalchina

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014
... and even if you get the right voltage open circuit, you can't be sure the PSU can still produce the power required when connected.. Maybe you can borrow a compatible known good PSU?

That is the second test, if the first one is not good, then he needs a new adapter, but until he knows that he has the correct voltage, we speculate about the problem.

Fahmi Naz

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

I'll post the result once I get a multimeter. That could be the problem, as the charger is a 3rd party stuff. But if the voltage is not right, how it will affect the laptop? Like no indicator, or any sign?

And I'm using laptop, how can I use a PSU..

Fahmi Naz

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
So I've checked on the charger, right the charger was faulty. But I've tried another charger, the computer can light up and turned on, but there's no display, even with a monitor. Is the motherboard is the problem, since there was spark when I tested it with a testpen. Also the fan doesnt spin.

Fahmi Naz

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
Oh I'm sorry i forgot to mention of that. The model is HP Mini 110-1006TU. The charger voltant should be correct, 19V, 30W as I tried with the original part from HP, and from different retailer. And the light turns on, while my own charger doesnt show up anything.