Laptop display freezing up

Killer_Juice

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
The laptop freezes and the screen shows a image with many undecipherable colors: (the display is static and unchanging)

Here is what it looks like:

013.jpg

015.jpg

The machine is unresponsive and must be powered down (holding down the power button for a few seconds). I thought it was a graphics driver problem. The graphics card is a GeForce Go 6150. I thought I'd just head to Nvidia and get the newest drivers, however, the drivers are not available on the Nvidia site! I found some drivers on the HP site and installed those, but the error still occurs.

I really doubt there is a virus problem, but just to be on the safe side, I ran malwarebytes.

This isn't my laptop; a person at my church wanted me to take a look at it before she takes it to Geek Squad and gets ripped off. I want to help her out, but I'm not sure what I should do.

System info:
HP dv6000
AMD - MK36 @ 2ghz (200mhz * 10)
128mb GeForce Go 6150
768MB DDR2 RAM (512 + 256)
XP Media Center

Solution
How often does it happen and how soon after booting up?
Try rebooting in safe mode and see if still happens. If it does, it could be a hardware problem. If not, driver issue most likely.
Common with laptops is overheating. You could remove the cover and see if there is any hair ball in there or something like that.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
How often does it happen and how soon after booting up?
Try rebooting in safe mode and see if still happens. If it does, it could be a hardware problem. If not, driver issue most likely.
Common with laptops is overheating. You could remove the cover and see if there is any hair ball in there or something like that.

Solution