Laptop Display not working

Jul 17, 2018
My old laptop display stopped working several years ago, and I recently decided to try and fix it once again. It's an old, very large sony viao circa 2010?? Well the battery is dead, and lost somewhere, so in order for it to even turn on the power cord must be connected. When the power button is pressed the laptop will turn on, and the inside will start whirring, but the screen doesn't even turn on. Is there anything I can do to repair it in its current state? Or salvage the parts to put together another laptop?

Saga Lout

Olde English
The whirring is probably the fan and not the hard disk spinning so open it up and reseat the drive in case it may be the cause of the system not running. You should at least have seen white writing on black when you first turned it on but try again and press the Function 2, escape and delete keys. One or other should take you into BIOS.

Do you have a monitor to which you can connect the laptop? The only parts that will fit another laptop other than a Vaio of the same model reference are the hard drive and the RAM but that's probably out of date by now. The Windows 7 system won't activate on another machine so its worth getting the old one going again.

Saga Lout

Olde English
The whirring is probably the fan and not the hard disk spinning so open it up and reseat the drive in case it may be the cause of the system not running. You should at least have seen white writing on black when you first turned it on but try again and press the Function 2, escape and delete keys. One or other should take you into BIOS.

Do you have a monitor to which you can connect the laptop? The only parts that will fit another laptop other than a Vaio of the same model reference are the hard drive and the RAM but that's probably out of date by now. The Windows 7 system won't activate on another machine so its worth getting the old one going again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Laptop Tech Support 0
powerman4u Laptop Tech Support 7
M Laptop Tech Support 0
miluti Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 7
N Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1