Laptop does not recognise external mic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pabcadmon

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Im trying to use an external mic on my asus k550c laptop. Basically, in control panel, the external microphone is not showing under sound - manage audio devices - recording. It only shows 1 item - the internal mic, even if i tick "show disconnected/disabled devices".

I've updated REALTEK HD audio drivers from ASUS webpage. What is going on?

Thank you!

accelsnake

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015

BUt my microphone came with the headset alltogether, the only thing is that they are separately connected, pink for mic, green for headset, i use a adapter, that you connect both of these cables into the mic/head port, i know it sucks soo much, maybe i just have to buy a usb mic after all

hometeamdawg

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
I have an Asus x200ma laptop with audio combo jack. Asus says you need a 4-pole plug but I've tried a headset and another mic (both work on other devices) and the laptop would not recognize them. The ONLY external mic I have been able to get to work used a 3-pole (or stereo type) plug. I'm not sure if it's Asus hardware, 8.1 software, or Realtek software preventing a headset from working.
If you've been unable to get an external mic to work with your laptop, you may want to try a mic that has a stereo-type plug.

justsimpleguy

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
outrages but kerumbo is right, you cannot plug in mic and have sound go to your internal speakers of your laptop. Asus knows that very well but they did it on purpose:
1. they spare some physical space
2. they don't want you to buy cheap chinese mic for 1$ and realize that dollar-shop mic works better than their build in mic

Not only ASUS did this, all new laptops are like that. But I am so surprised and disappointed that Asus as the best brand didn't do better.
All world gone crazy about simple-phones-for idiots and so now they will transform our laptops and PCs into same stupid phones ... just a little bigger.
I hoped in vain that at least Asus or somebody will be the good guy.

Caiterpillar

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
Here's the thing
I've had my laptop for about 9, 10 months now? Only TODAY did it stop picking up external microphone sounds. I've restarted the mic driver and the Realtek driver, checked for updates, restarted system, even blown into the port to make sure there's no dust or anything stuck in there... Nothing works, but it will still pick up sound from the internal microphone.
I'm testing with two simple headphone/microphone combos, the kind that come with your mobile phone (and both work on my iPad with no problems)
Surely there's got to be some kind of solution if it was working just 17 hours ago?

Zouheir

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Hope this helps
it solved the problem for me

tBCsp.jpg

Reirika

Estimable
May 11, 2015
I have this exact same problem, and neither I have the option for choosing headset nor microphone. I'm trying to connect an antlion modmic by itself, is not recognized at all, neither with a TRRS splitter, etc. And no, I DO NOT have the advanced settings in my Realtek HD Audio Manager console. Seems like a USB sound card is the only option... for now?

francisexpress

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hi,

Just for you to know. I was having the same problem with my asus eeepc and a 3,5mm microphone, nut then I've tried runing Realtek firmware just has Zouheir said, and althgog I had only 3 choices (mic in, headphone, speaker out), I've chosen "mic in".

It worked! My laptop stopped using the internal mic and started to use the 3,5mm mic. No usb sound adapter here!

Thanks Zouheir!!!

xRazor14x

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015

Hey, when I select headset I can hear sounds from videos and stuff and my mic is now recognized but It's not working properly , I can only hear little sounds when I talk, even when plugging an different mic in the combo jack

zocuzo

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

I have an ASUS F550JK laptop with a combo port. I put the "Audio_Conexant_Win7_64_VER8654150" driver (ASUS site) and the microphone is recognized and works.

Fys

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
This weird thing worked for me. In that realtek HD audio manager thing, just above that "analog" button (which someone here has suggested to double click), there is a "device advanced setting" option in blue that is click-able. Click it and then select "separate all input jacks as independent input devices" option. Really hopes it helps you because I have gone through that frustration for some time now.

Fys

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
And one more thing.. you might have to close all files related to sound (i am no expert).. i had to close audacity for that to work. Basically close all audio related stuff, any mp3 or vlc thing etc, then plug in the mic thing (of course for my combo jack i had to use a 1$ chinese splitter thing on ebay.) Then try what i suggested in my previous reply.

fayefaye

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015
THIS IS SPOT-ON! Im currently using ASUS X455L which i bought 2 weeks ago, and last night i had troubles using the combo jack, until it cant be recognized by the audio wizard at all. i was so furious as i'm working at home, and i had to stop working at the 2nd hour of my online job. i have 3 headphones, (all working in other devices) but wont work on this laptop. After reading this thread, i think i need to give up on the combo jack and buy a USB headset instead so that i can work tonight.

pfsoto

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
a simple solution that worked for my HP laptop running Windows 10 [after tearing my hair out for hours and trying all the fixes i found on the internet, to no avail]:

Click the [Start Button]
Click on/select [All apps]
Scroll down and click on [Settings]
In upper right search box [i.e., Find a setting], type in "microphone"
Click on/selec [Microphone privacy settings]
Turn on [Let apps use my microphone]

VOILA! a working external mic

Happy holidays ...

Vertykal

Estimable
Dec 31, 2015

didnt work at all for me. Audio works just fine for my headset, im using a splitter for my green/pink plugs. im trying to set it up on skype but my laptop doesnt let me use my headset mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.