Laptop doesn't turn on after disassembly

chromme

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Hello!

I disassembled my laptop (Acer Aspire 5315) to fix the dc power jack and now it doesn't show any sign of life. Do you have any idea what's wrong with it?

note 1: The power led lights only if the ac adapter and the battery are plugged in.
note 2: I have also installed a new second hand RAM board in the free socket.
note 3: After disassembly i realized that the dc jack on my laptop was working fine, and the faulty device was the jack on the ac adapter. So I cut the jack and that cylindrical thing near it and i pasted a new one.
note 4: I regularly touched the ground connector on my wall plug to avoid any ESD.
note 5: I assembled it twice, just to make sure i didn't forget anything.

Solution
Uhm like wow. Yeah if you were 'cutting' and such the power and made any mistakes (even if your sure you didn't) once you 'powered' it up, you basically can instantly (before you can even unplug it) fry all the components across the boards, ram, cpu etc.

If your power was already breaking, you were previously damaging the computer enough (unsteady power frequent drops etc) all damaged the parts already (before you hacked it up as you state).

IMHO try taking out the HDD (if you need data off it) and hook that to a USB-SATA connector, and get a i3 Core laptop at Walmart for $249. It will save you time, money and most of all sanity in the long run. Just be more careful with your power connectors, they are the more fragile aprt of a...
Uhm like wow. Yeah if you were 'cutting' and such the power and made any mistakes (even if your sure you didn't) once you 'powered' it up, you basically can instantly (before you can even unplug it) fry all the components across the boards, ram, cpu etc.

If your power was already breaking, you were previously damaging the computer enough (unsteady power frequent drops etc) all damaged the parts already (before you hacked it up as you state).

IMHO try taking out the HDD (if you need data off it) and hook that to a USB-SATA connector, and get a i3 Core laptop at Walmart for $249. It will save you time, money and most of all sanity in the long run. Just be more careful with your power connectors, they are the more fragile aprt of a computer, but this Acer is DOA.

Solution