Laptop Editor Cofig

Thomas Bonsignore

Estimable
May 2, 2015
I am sorry if this has been posted before but I am new to video editing and have a new laptop to do the editing on but I have no idea on how to configure or tweak the system for best performance in using the Adobe programs.....mainly premiere and after effects. The specs are below for my laptop which in an Asus G750JZ-DS71

Quick Info
Color
Black
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz
Screen
17.3" FHD
Memory
24GB DDR3L
Storage
1TB HDD + 256G SSD (2x128G RAID)
Optical Drive
BD Combo
Graphics Card
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 880M
Video Memory
4GB GDDR5

CPU
CPU Type
Intel Core i7
CPU Speed
4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Turbo Frequency
Up to 3.4 GHz
Number of Cores
Quad-core Processor
CPU L3 Cache
6MB

Operating Systems
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Graphics
GPU/VPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M
Video Memory
Dedicated 4GB
Graphic Type
Dedicated Card

Hard Drives
SSD
256GB
HDD
1TB
HDD RPM
7200RPM
HDD Interface
SATA

Memory
Memory
24GB
Memory Speed
DDR3L 1600
Memory Spec
8GB x 3
Memory Slot (Total)
Memory Slot (Available)
Max Memory Supported
32GB

My question is that the SSD drive is partitioned in a way that the OS drive has 95GB and the other half 140GB, so should delete the partition so I have larger space for the OS and Adobe programs?

The other drive is 1TB HDD partitioned in half. Do I delete this partition and keep my video files stored worked on from this drive?
Are there any other options available?
Also any instructions or tutorials on how to tweak and optimize windows to work better with Adobe?

Many thanks!!!

Thomas Bonsignore

Estimable
May 2, 2015
I have been reading that for an editing PC you should have 3 hard drives ....1 with the OS and programs. 2 for media and project files.....and 3 to render out to. Now I have 2 physical drives but both are partitioned. Should I use any of these partitions for media files or renders? I read somewhere that partitioning a hard drive can speed up performance...... I am so confused!

You should be fine with your partitioning - OS on half of SSD, media on the other half, and final result on any HHD partition.

This way you will use fast SSD for I/O which is performed a lot, and the "slot" HHD for final result. Of course, it depends whether your project will fit onto SSD in the first place - FWIW, video editing uses a plenty of temporary work space, which might limit the projects you're working on.