Laptop extremely slow

Chirps

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Any tips on how to try speed up my laptop?

I've transfered a lot of things to a HD. My Local disk :C drive has 33.7GB free of 136 and my Recovery D drive has 2.07GB free of 12.4GB

I clear as I go as in I delete things as I don't need them and regularly empty the recycle bin. I also do Dick Clean-up's and Defrags but doesn't seem to help much.

Model: Presario CQ61
Operating System: Windows 7

The laptop is about 6 years old so maybe its the age of it? It's usage would be that high.

Thanks for any tips

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Chirps,

You can test your drive with brand specific HDD testing tool(or a third party one) and check out its health status. In case there is something wrong with it, you need to back up the data stored on it as soon as possible.
Another thing that can slow down a system is increased temperature. Have you cleaned the dust out of your laptop? If not, it may be a good idea to do so.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Chirps

Estimable
May 15, 2015

Thanks for that. I will try dusting it out to see if it helps.
No idea how to test but will ask someone more technically minded than me!
I've all backed up on HD but unfortunately it's got problems now but that another question on the forum :)

My general advice on keeping laptops fast is if you don't need it get rid of it. In other words, if you have any software you don't need or use immedietly unistall it.
Second use a cleaner which will clean any cache or hidden junk files in the laptop

Apart from those you can try either getting a new hdd, swapping it for an ssd or putting more ram in.