laptop fails to start please help!

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
i press the power button but the laptop doesn't start. the LED lights for the Hard disk lights up but it is dim!, the laptop shows the power is on but no signal from the display. i tried all methods but it didn't work including removing battery and pressing power key.
N.B this situation had happened the day before but the laptop started last night miraculously then in the morning the same thing happened again and now am stuck

Solution
I can't help with this thread. You need to have a better understanding of what you're doing BEFORE you start tearing things apart. There's no telling what may have been compromised now that you've torn it apart. Good luck though, maybe somebody else will feel like dealing with a basket case, meaning the laptop, not you.
Have you tried powering the unit with only the AC cable attached but no battery installed? Sounds like the charging cable or power jack have failed. Power jack is replaceable but requires disassembly. AC charging cable can be replaced for 10-15 dollars on most models through various sources online.

When the charging cable is not connected to the unit, does it have a solid green light on the charging cable? How about when it's connected?

What is the EXACT model number of your laptop including any sub model number. Model numbers are generally printed on the case or under the battery on the case.

So if I understood right: you press the power button and the laptop shows activity (indicator lights, fans spin, etc.), but you get no signal to the laptop's screen.

If that's the case, are you able to connect an external display to the laptop? Whether it uses HDMI, DVI, VGA, whatever to connect. If you can and the external screen gets a picture, then it would seem that your laptop's screen, or its video cable, are at fault. If no picture on the external either, then your video display adapter is at fault.

Nice catch prostar. I was bouncing between threads and for some reason thought he indicated the unit shut down after a few seconds. I concur that trying to use an external display would be the best option for now to determine if the system is even loading.

Are you able to see the screen contents prior to it attempting to load windows, and it goes black after POST, or is there nothing visible on the screen from the moment you power on and nothing ever comes up onscreen?

As Prostar indicated, try connecting a tv or external display to the VGA, DVI or HDMI output on the side of your laptop to see if you get a display that way. It may be that you simply have a failed display panel or broken ribbon cable connecting the display to the motherboard. Easily replaceable in both cases, although not necessarily cheap if it's the actual panel itself.

In most, but not all cases, if the GPU itself has failed, the system won't even maintain a powered state and should present either audible or visual error codes to let you know there's been a hardware failure.

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
yes i have done that but to no avail. another thing is that my laptop fan had failed a year before, so this year i had used external fan. this may contribute to some heating but the laptop would warn me if the temperatures had exceeded 95 c. normally i would operate between 72-85 c but with the external fan i doubt if that would affect the motherboard. adding to that the laptop was randomly shutting down but only the display the past few months!!!

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
the display is fine...i opened the case but the HARD DISK wont even spin the processor heats up a little bit, the lights come up but other than that the laptop is just blank. my laptop is samsung NP305U1A NOTEBOOK, with AMD 350 processor and amd 6320 radeon graphic card

If you've been running the unit with no internal fan, it's most likely shot. An external fan does nothing to cool the processor or the graphics card, if it has discreet graphics. The CPU heatsink is cooled directly by the internal fan and without it, there is no cooling of the CPU and the internal heat in the case from other components is not expelled. An external fan is only meant to provide supplementary cooling, for the laptop case, battery and to help provide additional cool air to the internal fan's intake. I'd almost surely guarantee the CPU or another component has died due to thermal failure or it may have for some reason just finally realized it was not getting any RPM signal from the fan and refuses to start due to this.

Most systems won't power on if the internal fan fails, to prevent overheating. I'm surprised yours worked at all without the fan being functional. My bet is you've killed the unit due to thermal damage, which is too bad considering replacement internal fans only run about ten to twenty bucks, compared to five hundred dollars and up for a new laptop. You probably paid more for the external fan that was doing nothing to cool the laptop than it would have cost to do it right and replace the internal fan. Sorry to have to put it that way, but it is what it is.

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

i had narrowed it down to cpu and motherboard, because when i remove the ram no beeps at all!! but the cpu slightly gets heated up! and also the hard disk doesn't spin at all...

Of course not, if there is no RAM installed, it can't POST. That's not a solution, that's just the laptop not doing anything because there's no RAM installed. What are the beep codes you're getting with the RAM installed.

As tman1 indicated, there has probably been damage to the GPU or CPU from an overheating situation caused by no fan. Laptops are very delicately balanced systems, and when you take the fan out of the equation the internal components don't last long.

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

IF IT IS THE GPU WHY IS THERE NO BEEP OR HARD DISK ACTIVITY!!!? But anyway thanks for your advise! next time i may go for intel

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

when the ram is installed there is no beep at all!!
i wanted to remove the cpu to get at least a beep but removing the cpu is a little bit complicated, its like it has been glued to the motherboard!! the gpu the same!! and i can't find the cmos battery (i know how it looks like). i wanted to get a beep at least to assure myself that the motherboard is alright but everything is becoming difficult.
but i wanted you to tell me WHICH COMPONENT THAT DOESN'T ALLOW THE HARD DISK TO SPIN AND THE DISPLAY TO GO BLANK AND ALSO DOEST ALLOW BEEP!!!? IF YOU CAN TELL ME THAT COMPONENT I WILL BE SATISFIED! CAUSE I'M ONLY GUESSING A CPU OR MOTHERBOARD
thank you for responding..

I can't help with this thread. You need to have a better understanding of what you're doing BEFORE you start tearing things apart. There's no telling what may have been compromised now that you've torn it apart. Good luck though, maybe somebody else will feel like dealing with a basket case, meaning the laptop, not you.

Solution

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Why so angry at the ones trying to help you? Most of us have seen this before, as I have done reflows on boards with this exact issue and had them working temporarily.

Darkbreeze, don't sugarcoat it. This guy doesn't deserve kindness or help with this attitude.

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

Dear lord, am not angry! the reason i wrote in capital letters is for you read well those points well, i just wanted to highlight the points. but anyway forgive me! i didn't know u would interpret it this way, if you saw me face to face you would really understand! am very sorry again!

rutags

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

thanks darkbreeze for your responses!, i know some here thought i was rude but really what i wanted was just to highlight the points! and i know what am doing with my laptop and am really careful its just that i was a little bit confused what was wrong here am not the guy who just tears down things for no reason.. i had to check inside cause that was the only solution. and by the way i studied a little of computer hardware but its been a while. thank you again