Laptop fan has stopped working, should I disconnect it from the motherboard until I can replace it?

IAXEM

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
I have a MSI GE62 Apache-Pro, which includes two internal fans. For some time now, the CPU fan's bearing has failed. It rattled a lot in its casing. However, being unable to purchase a replacement, I've had to bear with this, and managed to keep it under control by poking the fan with a needle (It didn't remedy the problem entirely, but made the fan stop rattling for a certain period of time until it started acting up again, in which case, I poked it again.)

But it has now died altogether and so I'm looking into buying a replacement ASAP.

This is my only PC and so I've been careful with my usage. It actually seems to cope rather well with only one fan, typically ranging between 55-65 degrees with light browsing (this laptop runs rather warm, I've never really seen temperatures below that except when recently booting). Granted, it tends to heat up rather fast with any increase in activity, but Doesn't go beyond 80. I can't do any gaming, obviously.

So my first questions is, is it safe to use it so long as the temperatures remain low?
And because this fan just won't rotate any longer, should I disconnect it from the motherboard? Or does it cause no harm to leave it as it is?

Hopefully I'll have the replacement within two weeks. Happy holidays everyone!

Solution
While it may seem OK to use it when the temp doesn't seem to be rising, that doesn't mean it can't/won't overheat.

Personally I would suggest using it as little as possible, and I do mean little, until you can get the fan replaced.

In regard to leaving it in or pulling it. I don't think it would do any hard to leave it in. But then again, I can't stress enough to use it is little as possible. You don't want to fry something. And I would make any usage as simple and basic as possible. So avoid vids, games, etc.
While it may seem OK to use it when the temp doesn't seem to be rising, that doesn't mean it can't/won't overheat.

Personally I would suggest using it as little as possible, and I do mean little, until you can get the fan replaced.

In regard to leaving it in or pulling it. I don't think it would do any hard to leave it in. But then again, I can't stress enough to use it is little as possible. You don't want to fry something. And I would make any usage as simple and basic as possible. So avoid vids, games, etc.

Solution