Laptop fan isn't going on?

isa108

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Recently and recklessly, I sprayed some compressed air into my laptop while it was ON. Really stupid thing of me to do and I think it may have caused a problem. I did this 2 days ago, but up until last night, the fan was working. Now I can't hear it whatsoever. Should I open up the laptop and take a look this weekend? Or should I take it to a professional? Thank you!

Solution
Depends on how comfortable you feel about opening up the laptop. I had a similar problem with my laptop before, the fan seemed to want to spin but it couldnt, upon opening it up I found a small piece of plastic that was stuck in my fan, after removing it the laptop was back to normal.

I would at least try to find the problem before taking to a pro, it could be something similar to what I wrote above which would be a simple fix. When you move your laptop around do you hear a loose piece inside or anything?

aloof11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Depends on how comfortable you feel about opening up the laptop. I had a similar problem with my laptop before, the fan seemed to want to spin but it couldnt, upon opening it up I found a small piece of plastic that was stuck in my fan, after removing it the laptop was back to normal.

I would at least try to find the problem before taking to a pro, it could be something similar to what I wrote above which would be a simple fix. When you move your laptop around do you hear a loose piece inside or anything?

Solution

isa108

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Miraculously, my fan works now! What I ended up doing was, like you suggested, spraying it with some air. I did this while it was ON, like what I did before, to see if I could jumpstart the fan. It ended up turning on, and now temps go from 34C-70C is that good?

aloof11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
If the temps are high when you arent actually using the laptop then there might be a problem but if they are high when you are actually stressing the CPU then its okay (unless if they reach the 85C+ range consistency)

Glad it worked out, sometimes it just needs a push I guess

isa108

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Oh crap, looks like I stand corrected. I was online, with the laptop on my lap, on the couch, and it suddenly shut off. I presumed it was a power thing (since it's been doing this for a bit) so I put the power in. But it still shut off. The weird thing is, is that I can HEAR the fan running, or that could be the HDD..

isa108

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

I can see the fan spinning, but it will still shut off.