laptop fan making low pitch whistle blowing noise

Domi430

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
My laptop is making a low pitch whistle blowing noise in the fan area when it gets above 65 degrees celcius, but it gets even wierder when i press the W key, the sound is gone until i release the W key again. under 65 degrees (i suspect cpu temp) the sounds is gone

-i have a ASUS Gl552vw 471t
-intel i7 6700hq quad core proccesor
-nvidia geforce 960M 2.0 gb

(my laptop never went over 82, both proccesor and gpu) max throtling temps are: cpu: 95 C gpu: 82 C

*i already updated my BIOS to the latest version for my laptop, updated my chipset, and updated my ATK*

Note: i send my previous laptop back for repair and they gave me a brand new laptop, this laptp had exactly the same problem as well (exactly the same type of laptop)

i had them build in an SSD in the place of my disk drive (maybe this has to do with the problem)

Tanks!

(laptop is 2 weeks old and isnt overheating, theres no dust in the fans and the laptop is operating as it should, be exept for that wierd noise)

*sorry for bad english*

!!update!! sound is gone, just went away. i started the laptop today and didnt hear it. ty for all support! hope the sound doesnt come back :)

Solution
yeah fan spinning at full speed to try to get rid of the heat ide check to see if ya can get to the fans from the bottom just to clean em if ya got any removeable covers on the bottom if not cooling correctly could cuase damge from heat

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
and the bad part most laptops don't have easy acces to the fans to clean them ect or to reapply thermal paste to the heatsinks in some cases ya got to pull the think appart to get to em and clean em ect... or replace em

Did you say they gave you a new laptop and same problem? Then it's not THIS laptop, it's ANY ASUS Gl552vw 471t.

Mechanical things will make noise, specially when it's reeved up at high temps. Am not sure anything can be done.

The "W" key is because, right underneath that key sits the air duct, and by deflecting it a little bit, the airflow improves and noise gone or highly diminished. No laptop tech will fix such "defect" for you. They will just tell you "that's the way it is." If this bothers you so much it's up to you to play acoustic engineer, open the thing up and make sure the airflow is going through a smooth air duct and doesn't hit anything that is "sticking out." Hope you have tinny tools, a loupe for inspection of small items etc.

Too complicated, not a geek? Configure laptop to run SILENT/QUIET mode if it has one, this delays the fan for reeving up but your box will run at a lower performance.

Domi430

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
i can open the case and check or even fix it, but theres still 1 year of warranty left, and they will clean my laptop (clean fans update everything, check for problems etc.) end this year and the last few weeks of my warranty. so im not ready to take this thing appart yet. it isnt bothering me that much but i wast just wondering WHAT it was and maybe it could be fixed or so. maybe they will even check the problem when i let them clean my laptop, and maybe they will have a solution, who knows :p

just 1 thing: the noise STARTS when hot but goes AWAY when i hold the W key. so when i HOLD the W key the sound is NORMAL again until i release so im pressing the air duct to make the sound normal again? :??:

thanks for replying anyway

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
yeah fan spinning at full speed to try to get rid of the heat ide check to see if ya can get to the fans from the bottom just to clean em if ya got any removeable covers on the bottom if not cooling correctly could cuase damge from heat

Solution