Solved! Laptop fan not working while using with nvidia driver installed.

Jun 27, 2019
Hello. Im using Acer aspire v3-571g laptop. Its old laptop. It has nvidia geforce 630M graphics card installed. The problem is if i use my laptop with nvidia driver the fan stops completely if i play game and overheats and then shutdown. Once i uninstall the nvidia driver and use the integrated Intel driver the fan works fine. This problem came all of sudden. There was no any accident that might have damaged my motherboard. I even changed my fan. there is no dust problem. The fan completely stops and shuts down only if i install nvidia driver. even though i disable it and use Intel garphics the fan doesnot runs. For the fan to run i need to uninstall that nvidia driver.
I tried updating the driver. The latest driver for 630M is 391.35 as per the nvidia website. And im using windows 8.1 pro (64-bit).
Anyone faced these problem? Thankyou for reading :)

Solution
Just because there is an updated driver does not mean it is the one your computer should be using.

Did you check the computer manufacturer's site? That is the only place you should look for said updates. If there isn't one to the driver there, then there isn't one for your device.

However, it may not be the driver that is the issue. You seem to be mixing some information here. If you are having overheating when using the Nvidia graphics, but no overheating when using the Intel graphics, then it isn't the driver it is the GPU.

Sounds a lot like the Nvidia is having problems and overheating. It may just need the thermal paste replaced, or it may need the GPU replaced. I suggest you monitor the temps and see what they are when running...
Just because there is an updated driver does not mean it is the one your computer should be using.

Did you check the computer manufacturer's site? That is the only place you should look for said updates. If there isn't one to the driver there, then there isn't one for your device.

However, it may not be the driver that is the issue. You seem to be mixing some information here. If you are having overheating when using the Nvidia graphics, but no overheating when using the Intel graphics, then it isn't the driver it is the GPU.

Sounds a lot like the Nvidia is having problems and overheating. It may just need the thermal paste replaced, or it may need the GPU replaced. I suggest you monitor the temps and see what they are when running it. If they are higher, then I would take the laptop either to a local tech to have them replace the paste and/or GPU or, if it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer about having the work done.

Reactions: Srijal Kc
Solution
Jun 27, 2019

Sounds a lot like the Nvidia is having problems and overheating. It may just need the thermal paste replaced, or it may need the GPU replaced. I suggest you monitor the temps and see what they are when running it. If they are higher, then I would take the laptop either to a local tech to have them replace the paste and/or GPU or, if it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer about having the work done.
I did thought about the thermal paste issue. And I changed my fan by giving it to the service center. I asked them about this problem and also requested them to recheck the thermal paste but they said its not the thermal paste. Maybe my GPU needs to be replaced. Thankyou so much for the reply. I will try replacing the thermal paste by myself once.