Laptop fell on the ground, everything works fine but will there be future consequences?

neshad

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Hello everybody...well as the title says, my laptop fell and hit the ground (from 1,5 meter height :O)...it was turned on and after the fall screen was all messed up with crazy colors etc...I turned it off and was thinking that is a kiss goodbye. But after I turned it on again everything was as usual, like nothing happened (also not a single scratch)..I did some tests and they show that hard disk is healthy and fine...Anyway, should I stop thinking about it as everything looks fine (fall happened 2 days ago)..? My main question is: is there gonna be future consequences or are they immediately seen? Thank you for your response in advance.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

As long as you dont hear any scratching sound from your HDD then its fine, when/if you do, replace your HDD.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
If you had a HDD you probably want to change that to a newer HDD (SSD if you can). If you had a HDD and it was turned on, its a big chance you got a scratch on the HDD and therefor it will be worse the longer HDD is running.

If you had a SSD its is probably fine, it can take more impact damage. (dosnt mean you shouldnt be carefull about it :p )

neshad

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Well, it was a HDD... : /...but if the tests are good and says hard drive is healthy and no bad sectors, doesn't that mean that was not damaged (by some miracle) :D ? Or it's gonna show up soon and die on me?

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

As long as you dont hear any scratching sound from your HDD then its fine, when/if you do, replace your HDD.

neshad

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Well, there's no such noises...for now. Everything sounds as usual...Hopefully, I was very lucky : /... thanks for your answers..

Khristeen

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Hi neshad. I'm not giving a sollution but can I ask for any updates on your laptop? I dropped mine yesterday and I think that we have a fairly similar situation. Did it show some signs of damage after a few days/weeks or everything worked just fine?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 0
d0zzerr Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 7
S Laptop Tech Support 2
K Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 0
kursat42 Laptop Tech Support 4
bonkerinno Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 4
DFX98 Laptop Tech Support 1
AnonDon Laptop Tech Support 1