Laptop for Art and 3DS Max (especially Fluid Simulations)

Jun 15, 2018
So, I'm getting a minor in 3D at my university and this past quarter was hard on me without a nice laptop to actually handle the program well. I also want to be able to do a lot more complicated stuff as my career goes on. The thing is though that the laptop I currently own that's been my primary laptop for 2 years allows me to draw on screen with a pen (It's a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 from 2016) and I want to upgrade.

I just purchased this laptop from Best Buy with these specs. It's a Dell Inspiron 15:

15.6 UHD Touch Display
Intel Core 17-8550 Processor
16GB Memory
512 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce Mx130 2GB Graphics

My test for it, in general, is how fast can it solve and render liquid simulations. So, my question is, what are probably the BEST laptops out there that have touchscreen pressure sensitivity in it so that I can draw right on the screen, but also be able to powerfully solve and render liquid simulations (and, by extension, all of Max)? As much as possible? I'm kind of new to 3d so I'm not entirely sure how fast I can expect liquid simulations to solve at best?

I also don't have the room for a desktop. Thank you for reading this by the way.

I have about $2000 (technically $3000 if it's from Best Buy)

Solution
Your CPU is not bad for rendering, it's not the top CPU in laptops but above average. Faster systems than yours would be in the higher end gaming and workstation class, which are not likely to have great touchscreens for drawing. There are a lot of gaming systems with the i7-8750H CPU, that is an improvement over yours.
Your CPU is not bad for rendering, it's not the top CPU in laptops but above average. Faster systems than yours would be in the higher end gaming and workstation class, which are not likely to have great touchscreens for drawing. There are a lot of gaming systems with the i7-8750H CPU, that is an improvement over yours.

Solution