Laptop for birthday

lilach

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Hey,
I want to buy a laptop for my boyfriend who celebrates his 30th birthday really really soon.
We have a designated pc for games, so it doesn't have to be ultra strong, but I don't want to wait 2 hours when starting vista..
I thought of something cool like sony vaio, or one of the ultra portables hp-s...

Can someone please recommend me of some specific model?

p.s. I guess it will help if I will mention that my boyfriend is a gadget freak digg reader, so I guess i'm looking for the hotest model on the geek front...

Thanks,
Lia

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Would be better if we knew exactly what it was for, budget, etc. Try filling out the FAQ at the top f this section.

lilach

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Thanks peaks!

1_What is your budget?
unto 2000$

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
light (unto 3 kilos, ~12- 14 inches screen)

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
3 hours? I guess.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No, mainly internet and movies

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Surfing the web, playing music, Watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
above 100 GB will be great

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 2 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
Shouldn't be the fastest and most amazing. I want it to be small and portable enough so He can lie in bad and read dig comfortably, but on the other hand I don't want it to take 2 hours to start up vista.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I thought of the SONY VAIO, or one of the Ultra portables HPs. We never had an apple before and it will be nice trying. Do they have anything ultra portable in the above mentioned price range which can compete with the SONY VAIO?

13_What country do you live in?
Israel

Thanks!
Lia

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
yes all are good laptops, the only thing that lets them down are the touchpads....especially in the X200's

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
You're trying to kill me. . .

A true TPer doesn't need a touchpad. Pointing Stick! Pointing Stick! Pointing Stick!

The X series don't have touchpads (except for the 300), anyway.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I find them so unintuitive to use. A touch pad is a lot easier, especially when it matches the screen. By this I mean when you have a wide screen that is say 16:9 and so is the touch pad. That way your fingers position on the pad equates exactly to the cursor position on the screen. A Point stick is so small and clumsy.