May 25, 2018
I am joining my 4yr engineering course (in CSE). I want to become the best coder of my college (field of interests - python, Java (netbeans). So what sort of laptop will I need ? Please suggest specifications. My budget is not exceed $650 (by the way, I am from India). I already have a 120gb samsung ssd 750 EVO. So, I will also install that drive into my new lappy with a clean windows installation.

Solution

You can't overclock laptops. Only the really ultra high end laptops have the ability to overclock and those are usually the most expensive. A laptop in the budget range you're looking for will have a locked BIOS which means that you cannot overclock. Turbo boost really doesn't do anything to speed up the processor. The 7200U is a decent CPU for what you want to do but you really should check out the 8000...

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
I always liked the ThinkPads for the keyboard and ruggedness for the work on the go.
If you are so interested in Python and Java, "Linux friendly" is probably a desirable quality for the laptop.
Generally, you want the most powerful CPU that you can afford and upgradeable RAM.

May 25, 2018
I had seen a laptop with these specs : intel core i5 7200U + 8gb ddr4 ram + 1tb hdd (+ 120gb samsung ssd evo 750 which I'll add myself) + 2gb nvidia geforce gt940MX graphics card. I will be into a bit of gaming, just to tell u. I wanna have a long life with this laptop so want to invest on a laptop which will be totally worth of its cost. Are u sure that I should focus more on cpu than gpu for coding ? And is that i5 good ? And will turbo boost help ? And number of cores, dual core or quad core ?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

If you look for it you can probably get an 8000 series laptop for about the same price as a 7 series. The aforementioned Thinkpads are good, and also check out Asus - they have a lot of great laptops where you can get an i5-8xxx CPU for around the budget you are considering.

May 25, 2018
Have to drop this option. In the final checkout, the added 20,000 INR to initial value (US Customs Duty).
By the way, Is Intel Core i5 7200U processor good for coding ? Even if coding is hard core comprising of thousands of lines ?

May 25, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from pandey.aditya9991 : "Laptop CPU for Coding/Programming"

If I feel a bit lag with some applications, can overclocking the cpu under intensive cooling do the trick ? Also, I want to ask, like this cpu's intel turbo boost is rated upto 3.1Ghz .Is it possible to overclock it above that, say upto 3.5Ghz to get better performance ?

*Laptop will have samsung ssd 750 evo. (My own old ssd)

g-unit1111

Distinguished

You can't overclock laptops. Only the really ultra high end laptops have the ability to overclock and those are usually the most expensive. A laptop in the budget range you're looking for will have a locked BIOS which means that you cannot overclock. Turbo boost really doesn't do anything to speed up the processor. The 7200U is a decent CPU for what you want to do but you really should check out the 8000 series - they will be better CPUs and will have substantially longer battery life.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yes that will be a far better laptop for the price, especially after you swap the HD.