laukinis60

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Hello, Christmas are almost here so I started looking for a laptop which would be good for a graphical design students.
Photoshop, illustrator, premerie and ect. almost all complete adobe collection with some 3dmax.

Right know I have a few questions...

1. would something like i5-7300HQ or i5-8300H be enough?
Or should I go i7 route and not even thing about others?

2. Also are 'U' processors a viable option or should I dismiss them as well?
2.1 If they aren't bad would laptops with them be cooled properly? I've seen that a lot of them ar really thin.. That to me does not look like it will have proper coolin or am I mistaken?

3. Are 6th gen i7 still a good choice?

4. Also dedicated gpu like 1050 / 960m would be useful in this kind of work, no?

Current processor: i5-2540m so anything would be an improvement heh

Storage and ram does not matter as it can be later upgraded so for a start 4GB with slow harddrive would be sufficient

I will list some models I've found in my country(Lithuania) once I get those questions answered as of right now Lenovo y520 looks quite good even tho it might be a bit out of my budget...

Would be great to get a laptop for 800€ but MIGHT be possible to extend up to 900€... Not sure yet though.

All help is welcome let's chat a bit so I can see what is best in my case.

Solution
The modern quad core i5 CPUs are fine, i7 will of-course help with render speeds as will a good video card for programs that can use that for processing.

6th generation CPUs are fine, again you are just giving up on waiting speeds to render things. It will be good enough, how good enough is good for you, is up to your budget.

Mainstream U model low power CPUs I would not use in a system used for heavy graphic and video work.
The modern quad core i5 CPUs are fine, i7 will of-course help with render speeds as will a good video card for programs that can use that for processing.

6th generation CPUs are fine, again you are just giving up on waiting speeds to render things. It will be good enough, how good enough is good for you, is up to your budget.

Mainstream U model low power CPUs I would not use in a system used for heavy graphic and video work.

Solution

Depends on how the programs use video card for processing vs a faster CPU. Check some benchmarks for them and see if those show some details.