Laptop for my sister, need help deciding between the last 2

Naimdor

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hi guys,
my sister needs a new laptop.
she is not a gamer at all, she need it for studing and work, nothink too demanding.
I narrow it down to 2 laptops.
i wanted : i5,8GB RAM,touch screen, 14"/15.6".
Now i need help deciding:
Both are 14" lenovo yoga with 8GB RAM.
One has a newer CPU both no sshd.
The other has a one generation older hard drive but sshd.
what do you think would benifet her more?
***The one with the newer CPU cost about 25$ more.***

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 510 80VB003HIV - Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor 2.5Hz + 1TB 5400RPM

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 510 80S7001NIV - Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor 2.3GHz + 500GB 5400RPM + 8GB SSHD Cache

Solution
You won't feel any difference between those 2 CPUs in practice. Hard drives are the bottleneck in all systems today, and that is even more so true with laptops, since they use slower drives than their desktop counterparts. Having a fast SSD drive as a system drive makes absolutely huge, huge difference in laptops. That being said, both laptops fail that requirement - SSHD drives do help in some situations, but are nowhere near a true SSD drive. If any of these models is available with a pure SSD system drive, get it. Otherwise, consider other laptops. Big SSDs can make laptops quite expensive, so if you can find one with smaller SSD (say, 120GB or more) + large HDD (two separate drives), this would do just fine as well.

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
You won't feel any difference between those 2 CPUs in practice. Hard drives are the bottleneck in all systems today, and that is even more so true with laptops, since they use slower drives than their desktop counterparts. Having a fast SSD drive as a system drive makes absolutely huge, huge difference in laptops. That being said, both laptops fail that requirement - SSHD drives do help in some situations, but are nowhere near a true SSD drive. If any of these models is available with a pure SSD system drive, get it. Otherwise, consider other laptops. Big SSDs can make laptops quite expensive, so if you can find one with smaller SSD (say, 120GB or more) + large HDD (two separate drives), this would do just fine as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS