Laptop for Office?

May 20, 2018
I am the communications manager and I also manage a volunteer program that requires the use of a laptop for the organization I work for. We are a small non-profit and I inherited a Lenovo B590 when I came on in the fall. I have no idea how old this laptop is, but I'm guessing it's a dinsosaur by today's standards?. I would like to put in a request for a more updated one because it's super slow, has very little memory (I'm almost maxed out at 7 months on the job) and it is big and bulky.

I manage our social media accounts, create graphics for them, edit videos, create flyers, manage our website and also this free tax program we do. I work anywhere from 20-40 hours/week and I am on it constantly. Everything I do is on the computer and a vanity point here is that everything I do is computer-based, yet I use the oldest laptop in the entire organization!

Any suggestions for a decent budget laptop to look for and good places to find them? It doesn't have to be brand new, but I'd like it to be from the latter part of this decade, if possible. Needs to be a good workhorse.

Solution
By little memory are you talking about hard drive space? Or memory as in the RAM amount it has? Both can be upgraded. It's an older laptop but good for normal use outside of gaming.

What is exactly the budget for the laptop? If you are talking about $400, what you have is fine and will be about as fast with about $150 worth of upgrades to RAM and a solid state drive. If you are talking about $600 you can get a better system.
By little memory are you talking about hard drive space? Or memory as in the RAM amount it has? Both can be upgraded. It's an older laptop but good for normal use outside of gaming.

What is exactly the budget for the laptop? If you are talking about $400, what you have is fine and will be about as fast with about $150 worth of upgrades to RAM and a solid state drive. If you are talking about $600 you can get a better system.

Solution
May 20, 2018

Thanks so much for the info - We do have a budget of about $600 - looking at this forum, I should have included the questionnaire. I'll post again with my answers to the laptop questionnaire.