Laptop for Programming at School?

daniel031792

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I'm majoring in Computer Science this semester and I'm taking Object-oriented programming.
So my dilemma is, that I need a laptop that will last me the rest of the time I'm at school. I have a good home pc running Two 980 ti's. I just need something thats good for school when I'm in class programming.
I'm only going to program on this laptop. I don't need it for gaming or watching movies. I live 10 minutes from the University, I just need a computer at school thats good enough to program on.
I was looking at the surface pro and mac book air.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Solution
Another suggestion is the ThinkPad x1 Carbon. Ultrabook (keep the i5, get the QHD screen) that you'd appreciate as a programmer. The extra resolution is makes a (big) difference.

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Another suggestion is the ThinkPad x1 Carbon. Ultrabook (keep the i5, get the QHD screen) that you'd appreciate as a programmer. The extra resolution is makes a (big) difference.

Solution

daniel031792

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015

so is an i5 2,5ghz boost to 3.1 with 8gb ram good enough ?

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Assuming you're looking at the 3rd generation Carbons, the i5-5200u, 8GB ram, the QHD monitor (touch or not is up to you) should last you many years.

Be weary of the 2nd generation carbon, the keyboard layout is very weird and you may end up with buyers remorse. The 3rd generation fixes most of the keyboard woes the 2nd had.