Laptop for UG MECH ENGG STUDENT

Mechenggstud

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014
Hi !!

I've seen many posts on Google and on here too but still this is a hard decision to make. Here are the laptop models I lokk thoroughly at:

1) Dell precision line
2) Hp envy line
3) Lenovo thinkpad line
4) Asus x line
5) Acer v line

From my thorough research I have shortlisted the following laptops:

1) Lenovo thinkpad t440p
2) Hp envy 17 touchsmart

These are the two laptops I am stuck with in making a decision. According to my uni, the laptop will have to run solidworks as well as autocad and some other softwares.

It seemed a bit weird to me that I will have to use both the softwares but this is what the uni requires.

I won't be buying another laptop during my course of 4 years. maybe I will buy after 4 years but this is not for sure. The laptop should be less than $2000

So I need opinions from you people in which of the two ( lenovo thinkpad t440p or hp envy 17 touchsmart ) I should go with.

Thanks!!

Mechenggstud

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014

Can you tell me what laptop lines I should look at then in asus? Is the x line able to run solidworks and autocad?

PS msi is a gaming laptop .. I don't think it can be suitable for engineering students

Alec Mowat

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

I would just buy the best you can afford. AUTOCAD will run on anything, but it will just use any extra resources you throw at it.
A dedicated videocard wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary. I think the MSI I linked is the best bang for your buck.

Mechenggstud

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014

Well yea but I also need a reliable laptop and from what I found many people either go with one of the two choices I am stuck with. So I wanted to choose from one of those choices.

Why I'm hesitating with asus is the trackpad. Msi is great I agree but not many mech students prefer it.

Alec Mowat

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

I'd ask a student who knows something about his computer, and is not just buying what's convenient.
They are all very similar. i7 with 8 GB of RAM is enough for what you are doing.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
you cant figure out what you need in a laptop but you primed for collage engineering degree ??

''still this is a hard decision to make.'' I hope this don't carry over to wondering if you need steel or Styrofoam for a main support or gear set

Mechenggstud

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014

Dude when it comes to engineering every student in this field needs a reliable laptop that will last for 4+ years!!! Laptop is not bought everyday!! There are many laptops out there suitable for engineers but only 1 and the best one has to be chosen and this is hard to decide.

Yes Im a uni student looking for the best laptop and I'm not the first person in the world to be in this situation. I'm guessing you haven't been in this situation before from the way u replied.

Anyways thanks!

Mechenggstud

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014

I already did that! And ppl had and said both those laptops. Most of em use either of the two. That's why Idk what to choose

Mechenggstud

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014

Yep thnx bruh !! I'm finally going with hp envy 17t !