Laptop for university: Lenovo ideapad y700 or hp studio g3

ghardwares

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Hello,

Next month I am going to study and I need a good laptop. It's a engineering study and my university advises the Zbook studio G3: http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=NTB&...
RAM: 8 GB
CPU: i7 6700HQ
GPU: Nvidia quadro M1000M 4gb
HDD: 256 gb SSD
Warranty: 3 years + very good and fast service
Price: 1387 pounds/1603€/1792$

But I was thinking about the Lenovo Ideapad y700:
RAM: 16 GB
CPU: i7 6700HQ
GPU Nvidia GTX 960m 4gb
HDD: 1 TB HDD + 128 m.2 SSD
Warranty: 2 years
Price: 950 pounds/1100€/1230$

I want to use my laptop for design software such as Solidworks and I also want to play games in my spare time (such as gta V or overwatch). I am not a hardcore gamer though.
I can get both laptops for the same prize (950 pounds/1100€/1230$).
So I was wondering which laptop would be a better choice.
And is this (https://gaming.msi.com/article/do-you-know-new-nvidia-q...) article true, so it doesn't matter if I game with the quadro or the GTX?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
tl;dr: I think the Lenovo Ideapad would be a lot better,
Pros: More RAM so you could manipulate large complicated 3d objects around easier. More storage if you want to have a lot of games/ programs/ images/ files in general. better graphics.
Cons: smaller ssd so you wouldn't be able to have everything on it, but if you ran out of space on the Zbook that would be a bigger problem.

I have tried using mathmatica on an old laptop with an i3 cpu and only 4gb of ram. (intel integrated graphics, but that doesn't make a difference for programming). Needless to say, it was pretty slow. More ram and a fast processor are important for programming and for 3d design too I would think. I have never tried using a 3d design program on a...

librilector

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
tl;dr: I think the Lenovo Ideapad would be a lot better,
Pros: More RAM so you could manipulate large complicated 3d objects around easier. More storage if you want to have a lot of games/ programs/ images/ files in general. better graphics.
Cons: smaller ssd so you wouldn't be able to have everything on it, but if you ran out of space on the Zbook that would be a bigger problem.

I have tried using mathmatica on an old laptop with an i3 cpu and only 4gb of ram. (intel integrated graphics, but that doesn't make a difference for programming). Needless to say, it was pretty slow. More ram and a fast processor are important for programming and for 3d design too I would think. I have never tried using a 3d design program on a laptop. I have used AutoCAD, rhinoceros 3d, and Siemens NX, but I wasn't into computers then so I didn't pay attention to what the computer specs were.

Looking only at the components, the Ideapad looks a lot better. the processors are the same but the extra ram in the Ideapad would probably be pretty nice. You would probably want to use the Ideapad's SSD mainly as a boot drive making your computer start up really fast but I don't think there would be much room for you to store a lot of your Solidworks files on it. idk how large those files get. GTA V is 65gb so it might fit on the ssd if the only other thing on it is your operating system. But if you store your files on the HDD they would take longer to load. probably not much of a problem, maybe keep the stuff your using on the SSD and your old stuff on the HDD. and once it loads the HDD speed wouldn't matter.
I think the GTX 960m is way better than the quadro. I play Metro 2033 Redux on the 960M and it looks great. but I haven't played it on any other graphics card and have never bothered to check the FPS so its all a rather inexperienced opinion. But, according to these benchmarks the 960 is about 3 times faster than the quadro.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Quadro+M1000M
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-1000M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-960M/m7836vsm27242

This is all based on the specs you provided though, there could be quality control problems and other stuff I wouldn't know about. You would have to check specific reviews for each computer for things like that.

Solution