Laptop Freeze on Low Games

Ramli Khamdani

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015
I'm running Toshiba Satellite C55D-A, with AMD A6-5200, 4 GB RAM, and AMD Radeon HD 8400 VGA. I am having issues, the dxdiag said that my VGA have 2GB of graphic memory right ? yet games like skyrim is still looks a bit "slowed down" (not what i would describe as laggy though) its not as smooth as my friend's laptop with the same amount of graphic memory, in case of DOTA 2 it even crashes at some point when i play, the screen freezes but the sound is still playing and the game goes on, but i can't do things, and its not even a heavy game, and i play it in the lowest settings. can someone give me some help here :(

Solution
Hello Ramli Khamdani

Did you try updating the graphics card driver? If you have started experiencing this after the driver update, you can try rolling the driver back to its earlier version. (Or if you haven't updated the driver yet, try doing so.)

In case you have been facing this from the beginning, you can try to increase the size of the page file (virtual memory). You can learn this from here.

The page file size should go maximum up to 4 times of the physical memory. (E.g. 1 GB RAM = 4 GB Page File)

Let me know if any further assistance is needed.

Good Luck!!
Hello Ramli Khamdani

Did you try updating the graphics card driver? If you have started experiencing this after the driver update, you can try rolling the driver back to its earlier version. (Or if you haven't updated the driver yet, try doing so.)

In case you have been facing this from the beginning, you can try to increase the size of the page file (virtual memory). You can learn this from here.

The page file size should go maximum up to 4 times of the physical memory. (E.g. 1 GB RAM = 4 GB Page File)

Let me know if any further assistance is needed.

Good Luck!!

Solution

Amount of RAM does not have much to do with the speed of the video card. A slow video card with lots of RAM on it will be slower than a faster one with less RAM. You need to compare the full system, CPU and exact video card model, not just RAM amount.