Laptop freezes on startup, max fan speed

sabanknight

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
My Toshiba Protege m700 crapped out last night. It gave me a blue screen a minute or so after taking it out of sleep mode.

On several attempts to reboot the boot process hangs on various screens either the opening toshiba page, reboot options if hitting f8 ect, or windows start up logo. When it freezes it is accompanied by my fan going to max speed and staying there despite the air exaust and laptop chassis feeling normal resting temperature.

Have attempted safe mode and last known good config to similar results

Have only attempted once after letting it sit for a few hours. Held power button for a minute before booting as recommended in someone elses post. It got all the way to desktop, 20+ seconds later it blue screened again and fan raced to max speed.

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
Okay, from a frozen start, go into the BIOS and take a look at the temperatures being reported and fan speeds. Pay close attention to the readings for a good 5 minutes. Once done, report back some numbers (i.e., quantitative evidence). Don't provide qualitative evidence, like, "it was really hot and then went cold." Numbers, please!

(Disclaimer: If I provide you an instruction and you claim to have done it, only to have actually lied, then, you'll get no further help from me. For example, claiming to have monitored BIOS readings "multiple times," only to later ask how to get into the BIOS is a clear indicator of mistruth. At such point, you'll get no pity from me.)

sabanknight

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Having trouble getting there, it freezes before I can change pages on bios to find temperature gauges.

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
You said that the temperature of both the laptop's chassis and that the air blowing from the vents feels "normal," correct? Did you feel around the entire bottom of the chassis, including the battery area? Also, how long have you had this laptop, and which specific model is it?

sabanknight

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Toshiba M700 protege. Yes I first thought about over heating, and nothing feels warm, only the air blowing gives the slightest hint that something inside is operating, still within its normal resting temperature for the past couple years. I have had it since 2012