Laptop freezes when gaming

Freezetime

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Hi Guys.

So I about this laptop last November ASUS R510VX-DM151D, i7-6700HQ 2.60GHz, Skylake™, 15.6", Full HD, 8GB, 1TB, DVD-RW, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB. All fine and dandy didn't push it overboard, played games with the laptop choosing what's best for itself.

Fast forward 6 months, it starts freezing out of the blue even when browsing. I reinstall windows 10 x64, all goes back to normal except for gaming which still crashes.

I monitor the CPU temp with Fallout 4 running in window mode, temp doesn't go above 75C(I also have cooling pad for it). I changed the power setting for the 'Max processor state' and set it at 90%. It crashes after around 20-30 min of gaming.

I installed the drivers from ASUS site, as I understood they are customised. I suspect that the video card might have something to do with it.

I only play CSGO, F4 and RTW: Attila. None of these games should overload it. Software&games legit.

What do I do guys? Thx,

Solution
I think I fixed it. There was a BIOS update released mid June that I did. Then uninstalled ATK and nVidia drivers and installed them again. I think uninstalling and installing nVidia would suffice. Temp around 60-65C for both CPU and GPU without cooling pad.

Thank you very much for your time and patience. If we meet I'll get you drunk ;). Cheers mate!

Amboss

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Hi there - what settings are your games running on and does your laptop crash on all of your games, or just a couple of them?

In addition to this, do you know the temps of your GPU as very often this can lead to crashes during games when the video card is working hard.

I this helps

Amboss

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Ok can you do two things for me?

Please can you try and run the games on low settings to see if that helps - it might be your laptop.

Also, download software such as CPUID Monitor or Speed fan which will let you check you GPU temps, I personally recommend cpuid HW monitor, here is the link to it:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I hope this helps.

Freezetime

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
To reply to your previous question - it does crash all of my games (sometimes it doesn't crash CSGO). Tried playing F4 with settings on minimum and medium and still crashes.

Temperatures for both CPU and GPU are between 50+ to 75C

What happens if I uninstall HD Graphics?

Amboss

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Hi there - uninstalling te HD graphics would only be necessary if you improperly installed them the first time, which is unlikely as you have a pre-bought laptop. This is very hard having to troubleshoot over a forum but would you be able to run the games and screenshot the CPUID stats. I need to know the minimum temp, which should be around 40 degrees Celcius when idle and around 70 degrees Celcius when gaming. This problem is almost certainly down to your cooling situation. A laptop with specs such as yours should not be crashing after running light games such as these. After you send over your min. and max. temps I can guide you as to whether clean out your fans or invest in a laptop cooling pad etc.

Amboss

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Hi there. Your idle temperatures with the cooling pad seem to be very similar to the temperatures with the pad. Do you know the product link for the pad so I can have a look at it and see how much rpm the pad pulls with the fans etc. thank you.

Freezetime

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
I think I fixed it. There was a BIOS update released mid June that I did. Then uninstalled ATK and nVidia drivers and installed them again. I think uninstalling and installing nVidia would suffice. Temp around 60-65C for both CPU and GPU without cooling pad.

Thank you very much for your time and patience. If we meet I'll get you drunk ;). Cheers mate!

Solution