Laptop freezes when watching video or gaming

Kallakix2015

Estimable
May 18, 2015
I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite L50D-C-16v. I installed a larger hard drive and some more ram and updated the OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When ever I try to run a game or watch a tv show the whole thing freezes. The colours change and go green and purple and I have to shut it down.

I have all of the latest updates installed from Windows, which included graphic and cpu drivers. I have no idea why this would be happening. The laptop is low spec, but I was trying to play low spec games, I was averaging 40-60fps, but still getting these frffesfessefeezes, along with watching video.

Any ideas on this?
Toshiba Satellite L50D-C-16v
AMD-A8 7410 APU

Solution
You say you installed 'some more RAM' - did you just add 1 more stick? or did you replace the whole lot?

I think it sounds like a serious memory problem to be honest.

Kallakix2015

Estimable
May 18, 2015

I ran HW Monitor while gaming, the CPU sat at 50 degrees C and the GPU 60. There were no temperatures above 60. Like I said before, it even froze while watching video, the laptop would have been around 30-40 degrees for that.

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
You say you installed 'some more RAM' - did you just add 1 more stick? or did you replace the whole lot?

I think it sounds like a serious memory problem to be honest.

Solution

Kallakix2015

Estimable
May 18, 2015

I added 1 stick of 8GB. Which took the laptop from 4GB - 12GB. One thing though, when I first changed the RAM the laptop wouldn't boot up, I had to swap them around until they finally worked. I used the 8GB of ram with another laptop and never had any problems though.

Kallakix2015

Estimable
May 18, 2015

I'll try these methods, the other reply is making me think it is the RAM. I had some issues with them when I first upgraded the laptop.

Kallakix2015

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Update on the issue. I swapped the ram chips round and put them in the opposite slots. I ran a game and the PC reset itself after 30 seconds instead of freezing. I'll try running the game with just the original 1 stick of ram now. Does a restart instead a of a freeze mean anything?

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
What did you use? Windwos mem tool? not very thorough..memtest86+ is better... But!!! There might not actually be a problem with either of the ram modules! It's possible that they are both perfect and pass all tests.. just that in certain situations they have an incompatibility of some sort that a memory test wouldn't otherwise uncover.
Run your laptop with 8GB and see how it goes..

Kallakix2015

Estimable
May 18, 2015

I ran the laptop with the original 4GB that it came with and I had no crashes,freezes or restarts. It must be incompatible ram that stops working when you reach a certain point. The PC still booted with it and said I had it available. I have some more sticks with different amounts, now its just a process of finding a stick that boots up and works with games.
Thanks for all the help guys :D