Laptop freezing every few minutes

Saurazul

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
I've acquired a new MSI GS60 Apache Pro Ghost 3k laptop about a month and a half ago. I use it essentially either for playing videogames or to work with BIM, 3D modelling or gaming engine software. I bought this model because I was told that it was a pretty good purchase for my needs (I'm constantly on the move, being that the main reason why I prefer a laptop over a normal desk computer), that would run videogames smoothly and that I would be able to handle my 3D models and renders easily.

I'm starting to have some doubts now because sometimes the laptop decides that it's a good idea to freeze for a couple of seconds, go back to running smoothly for some more minutes, freeze again for two more seconds, and so on and so forth. This happens often when playing for example Team Fortress 2 or Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, not so often when I'm rendering, rarely when I'm modelling, and never when I'm watching videos or playing less graphically demanding games like Binding of Isaac. I've never had any crashes while doing anything so far, so the problem isn't particularly severe, but it's still bloody annoying when it happens.

I used Speecy to note down below the specs of my laptop at the moment I was writing this thread in hopes that it could be of some use for anyone willing to answer. What exactly am I dealing with here, and what should I do to solve this? By the way, I did try a factory reset, but it only temporarily solved the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx @ 2.50GHz 60 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-16H2 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
VVX16T029D00 (2048x1152@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (MSI) 36 °C
Storage
119GB KINGSTON RBU-SNS8100S3128GD (SSD)
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 29 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio