Laptop (Gaming and workstation) (College)

grim5554

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
Budget is $2500
I'm planning on buying it from xoticpc.com
I'm planning on getting a sager
I'd like to play games like BF4 on high settings
I will be using Google SketchUp and Autodesk Revit for 3D modeling
I also want good audio and a case with good airflow
If possible I'd love to get a thin laptop

What are the vitals I'd need for such a build?

Solution
I'd be looking at the Sager NP9377-S (Clevo P377SM-A) unit and make the following changes from "stock"; 1) Change screen to "17.3" FHD 16:9 120Hz "MatteType" 72% NTSC Color Gamut Sager Screen (1920x1080) [*NVIDIA® GTX 880M purchase required] (SKU - SSC014) ( + 0 )" and 2) "Remove all branding" (this option should make your laptop less of a target to thieves)
You can max out the ram (provided you select Win 8.1 or Win 7 Pro - Win 7 Home does not support more than 16GB ram) if you want - there are advantages in CAD work doing that
Nothing else really jumps out at me for a needed option but there are other options you may find appealing (plus you still have some of your budget left)

Ignore the sound card options as they will not provide...
I'd be looking at the Sager NP9377-S (Clevo P377SM-A) unit and make the following changes from "stock"; 1) Change screen to "17.3" FHD 16:9 120Hz "MatteType" 72% NTSC Color Gamut Sager Screen (1920x1080) [*NVIDIA® GTX 880M purchase required] (SKU - SSC014) ( + 0 )" and 2) "Remove all branding" (this option should make your laptop less of a target to thieves)
You can max out the ram (provided you select Win 8.1 or Win 7 Pro - Win 7 Home does not support more than 16GB ram) if you want - there are advantages in CAD work doing that
Nothing else really jumps out at me for a needed option but there are other options you may find appealing (plus you still have some of your budget left)

Ignore the sound card options as they will not provide much (if any) better sound than on-board. BTW, thin and light go right out the window when looking at "gamers"

Solution