Laptop Gaming for Non-Gaming 3d software?

FireClocks

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
My dad says he wants a very good laptop to replace an old, very slow one that he has to use at the moment.
He doesn't play games at all. The only "hard" program he seems to run is called Navisworks.
Which has to do with 3d Buildings modeling or something like that related to his work.

So, he's asking me for an i7 and what not and I'm asking myself:
"Isn't it a waste of money if I buy a really good laptop and then it's not gonna be used to the full potential? For that program and normal windows/browsing without any lag does an i5 do the job very well? Cuz if so there's no reason to buy an i7. Also, do I search for gaming laptops? It's not gaming but the "3d" program maybe needs good graphics

Solution

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Does he use any other computer that runs this program that does run at a satisfactory pace?
If so can you get the specs from it so that i can look for a similar laptop.
Navisworks isn't that intensive if you don't develop bit detailed buildings but can get extremly demanding once go go bigger or more detailed and renders can take forever.

FireClocks

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

Unfortunately no he doesn't.
Do you think this one is enought? https://www.worten.pt/informatica/computadores/portatil-15-6-lenovo-legion-y520-15ikb-i5-7300-6-1-6398057

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Definatly not enough ram. Naviworks eats ram so this is what I would do:

Find a laptop with at least the i5 7300hq (preferably the 7700hq) that has a gtx 1050 or up with 16gb of ram and an ssd drive. If these are too expensive. Find one with the same specs but less ram and no ssd and then upgrade it yourself.

Solution