Laptop gets hot - can you suggest me a good cooler for it?

David_307

Commendable
May 1, 2016
I have an ASUS X550JK gaming laptop, and recently, it started getting hot - CPU in the 65-70*C range in idle, and even 90*C when I play games. It even shut itself down spontaneously once, I think it was because of overheating.
It's a pretty new laptop, half year old, should I try cleaning the fans with compressed air, will that help? Or should I just buy a cooler? If so, can you suggest me a decent one? It's a 15.6 inch laptop, 38cm W x 25.1cm D.

David_307

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Okay, thanks. Will this void the warranty?

beelzebubba

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

It's always a good idea to clean the vents and fan(s) on a regular basis (every 3-4 months on a high-powered machine like yours). But the fact is that you have a very powerful CPU (especially if it's the quad-core i7) and the NVIDIA GTX 850M is an upper-mid-range GPU. Together they provide a lot of processing and graphics power, but they use a lot of power in the process. High-powered devices generate a lot of heat and a lot of gaming laptops run at the upper end of the 'acceptable' temperature range.

It is an undeniable fact that heat reduces the life of most internal laptop components, especially hard drives. A laptop cooler is a good idea for any system that runs warm (or hot). My Dell Latitude E7440 gets a bit toasty under load and I use a laptop cooler for it just to be safe. I found one that I like because it's decent looking (I don't even notice it any longer), it works well and it was very inexpensive.

I have the Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim and it can handle laptops up to 17". It is currently priced at $14.99 (including FREE shipping) on Newegg.com AND there's a $10 mail-in rebate, making it only $4.99 after the rebate! It's a steal, to say the least. It has a 4/5 rating on Newegg based on 238 reviews, so I'm not the only one who likes it.

Here's the link- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834992853&ignorebbr=1

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Laptops have to run hotter, their cooling is limited and even if you buy a cooler, it will still run hot.
I have a ASUS K53SV and it runs hot on games, I bought that exact cooler and it didn't help me.
What helped me is cleaning the vents on the side, the fan and reapplying thermal paste on both CPU and GPU.
I think you should get the cooler for $5, it's basically free, but don't expect a miracle.

David_307

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Thanks, I will try a cooler then, I don't really want to risk voiding the warranty yet to reapply thermal paste, maybe I'll try blowing some compressed air through the side vents, if the cooler won't do the job.

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Try compressed air first, if it doesn't work, try the cooler.