Laptop gets too hot and hibernates, is there anyway to switch it so it goes to 'standby' when it gets too hot?

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
My laptop sometimes gets too hot when I leave it on the bed and decides to hibernate, I was wondering if there is a way to switch that so it goes to standby instead. Main reason being, when it's hibernating, sometimes it just shuts off all together, so it has to restart all over. Not the fastest of laptops, so the restart takes a while.

It's a HP DV6, if anyone knows a program or some settings that can change this, that would be great, thanks, all help appreciated.

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
It shuts down in order for it to cool itself off so it doesnt melt. What you should do is stop leaving it on a surface that clogs its cooling solution. If you want it to eventually fail and not turn back on cause its ruined, leave it on the bed. Its doing that in order to protect itself.

USAFRet

Illustrious
The real solution is...do not leave it running on the bed. It's overheating and trying to shut down to protect itself.

On the bed it has very little ventilation.
You can either fix the problem, or try to instruct the laptop to let itself selfdestruct.

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

I understand. I don't do it internationally, it happens very little, but when it DOES happen, I would have liked the option to send it to stand by instead of hibernate. Thanks for your help I guess, still no answer to my question.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No answer, because there is no good answer to that original question.
Rephrased, it would be: "How do I turn off the overheat protection on this laptop?"

All it takes is once.