Laptop gets way too hot

moncool17

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
So my new Sager np9873 is great and powerful and whatnot, but it's got a big problem I need fixed. This thing gets freakin' warm. The CPU core's all max well over 90 degrees Celsius and the GPU's manage to get over 80 degrees Celsius max. I know it's a laptop, but there's certainly a way to cool it right? I'm already using this cooling pad:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016PMVM7Q/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b2Rr10l_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=DRK5WJDG3S6B0ESSR28G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=bfe1ca85-5e87-5e4e-8d92-b1969b5b9994&pf_rd_i=2243862011
I plan on reapplying thermal paste which I think will help, but I don't know. Are there any other ways to cool her down? Thanks

Solution

panathas

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
Laptops especially the high performance ones are usually getting too hot in comparison to desktops. The limited space and small cooling systems don't help lower the temperatures a lot and move all the heat out of the chassis. That's why various laptop cooling pads are so popular and a must purchase in cases like yours. Just make sure you don't get a very cheap one. In this case you do get what you play for. Just make sure you read all the reviews before you proceed with the purchase. Keep in mind though that even the best laptop cooling pad won't do any miracles and it will drop the max temperature by 10-12C on average. If you want to drop it any further you have to get a new good thermal paste, clean the fans and the cooling system from any dust particles, remove the old thermal paste and reapply the one one.

moncool17

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

I figured thermal paste might help. Haven't tried yet. Thinking about using Arctic Silver 5, it's got good reviews. Think it'll work good for this? Sager said they used IC diamond, but they are a bit known for doing shit thermal paste jobs

panathas

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
Arctic silver 5 will work but it's old by today's standards. There are some newer and better thermal pastes out there. You just have to search the various internet reviews for the best thermal paste for laptop use. It won't have such a big difference with AC5, but even 5 degrees C on average should be pretty good in your case. For desktop use you don't have to choose the best thermal paste and it doesn't worth it price-wise but for laptop use every degree C matters.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
I figured thermal paste might help. Haven't tried yet. Thinking about using Arctic Silver 5, it's got good reviews. Think it'll work good for this? Sager said they used IC diamond, but they are a bit known for doing shit thermal paste jobs

I have not been at all impressed with AS5.

I picked up some IC Diamond thermal paste via a recommendation from LinusTechTips, and it dropped the temperature of both of my i7 laptops by 20F at full load. Amazing difference - the Dell that had been re-pasted numerous times with AS5 no longer constantly screams anymore.

moncool17

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

Interesting info, didn't know that thermal paste was "outdated". Being that I am pretty desperate to cool this sucker down, which thermal paste does it's job best? Pardon the dumb question, never really studied thermal paste since I've never had a laptop that got so hot

panathas

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014

AC5 will work. In fact I have used it in all my desktop builds for the last 10 years, but the fact is that it's old "technologically" and since there are newer and better pastes out there, I think you should choose something better. If you currently have AC5 you could use it right know. It will surely help and you'll see a temperature drop, especially if you also do some dust cleaning. I don't know how much it will drop your temps. What I do know though, is that a newer and more advanced thermal paste will drop your max temps even further.

For a desktop scenario, a 3-5 degrees C temperature drop isn't too big but in a laptop case it's huge. For laptop thermal pastes check this thread.

Solution