Asus S15 S510 - gets hot superfast

May 22, 2018
I bought an Asus Vivobook S15 S510Un-Bq070T (8Th Gen Intel Coretm I5 8250U Processor + Nvidia MX150 GPU/8GB Ddr4/1TB Hdd + 128 GB Ssd/15.6"Fhd/Win 10 Home) a few weeks ago.

I'm concerned with the temps it reaches while on the desk:

* 75-80C while booting,
* Then returns to around 50-60C during regular work like browsing.
* Any photo processing and it hits 85+C.

It's certainly higher than what I'd be happy to see, or what I was expecting, despite the thinness of the laptop given its TDP of 15W. It starts throttling within a few seconds but I'm surprised why it's reaching such high temps so fast.

Questions:

1. Is this common, and what kind of lifespan can I expect with this?

2. Could there be some issues with the thermal paste?

3. I do have an additional 1080p monitor that stays connected. I don't reckon this could be adding too much added processing power, thus increasing temps.

May 22, 2018
I'm bothered because if these are the temps without any gunk accumulation over the years, then shudder to think of what the condition will be like after a few years.

Also, my older i7-2630HQ was like 6 generations before this and had a much larger architecture, yet that also managed the same temps, after 6 years.

Could this be due to some shit Win 10 background processes? I've tried to disable all that I could think of without making things too inconvenient (windows search etc)