Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
hello

i have the hp dv6 3052tx
i7 720qm
ati 5650hd
4gb ddr3 ram

it is getting unsually hot with temps around 86 c just while browsing
i am using battery saver mode with processor state reduced to 53% in power settings
without it the temps are about 97c

any help would be appreciated

the laptop is out of warranty and about 1.5 years old

Is it sitting on a solid surface with space below for fresh air to circulate? The top of a lap is the last place to use these things. :D You can but USB powered cooling pads which are fitted with two fans and on which the laptop stands and runs a lot cooler - I'm working on a DV9565ea at the moment and had to cool it down the same way.

Check HP's website for their views on overheating DV Series laptops - you may find your warranty still has some time to run.

If you're within the EU, you should be able to push for two years on the simple grounds that your laptop has an electrical plug.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
With it being a year and a half old its probably sucked up a fair bit of dust. You can try blowing out the vents with compressed air. I'd take it apart, clean it, redo the thermal paste on the CPU, and check the fans. its tight in there and you can break things though so if you aren't up to it or don't know someone compressed air and a cooling pad may help.

dragon199

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

i am using cooler master u2 cooling pad
it reduced temps by about 5c to 10c earlier but now the laptop burns
the temp approaches 100c whenever i play a game
also the gpu reaches about 127c at load and is about 90c at idle

the laptop had overheating problems from the start but it never shut down itself also other users of the laptop reported similar overheating issues so i thought that it was normal due to the i7
but now it frequently shuts down and reports overheating

so will replacing the heat sink or reapplying the thermal paste really help since the heat issue was from the start
also should i get this done myself or take it to hp

is their an alternative to compressed air

how much will hp charge for this
should i open up the laptop myself first since i have no experience in opening laptops

thanks for the help

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
by compressed air I meant the canned air you can get at office stores. or PC stores. Try and blow out the vents first. the last one i did was packed with dust i couldnt get to till i took it apart though. And make sure the laptop fan is running.

Replacing the thermal paste may help, especially if they used junk paste to start. And it can dry out. zTheres also talk of a design flaw where the chios dont contact the heatsink properly. you ought to be able to get it to at least be manageable. But opening it up can be difficult with small ribbon cables etc. there should be a disassembly guide on HPs support site(or somewhere) if you want to take a look. Or a local PC shop should be able to do it.

The first one I did was for a friend and a different brand, but it went from being too hot to hold, fans screaming, and shutting down, to being cool and quite. Your mileage may vary. Of course it took me 3 tries to get it back together because one annoying cable kept coming out and I couldn't tell till I tried to use it... and I about broke it. So its up to you if you want to risk doing it yourself. I look at it as its not usable right now anyway.