Laptop goes crazy when knocked

Jon Pate

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016
So my laptop is completely fine but if I knock on it (for example I accidentally dropped my phone from about 5cm) or today I just knocked the screen goes absolutely crazy. When I restart the laptop all is well again but the frequency of this is increasing and therefore need to fix it. I have opened up the laptop and there are no obvious connection issues but I only had a quick look.

My guesses would be a motherboard issue which hopefully it isn't as I can't afford to splash out on a new laptop in the near future.

https://youtu.be/fG5SfgrIT9Q

Any help is appreciated,
Jon

Solution
Hi, you seem having a connection problem, meaning a connector is not properly connected. Start with the RAMs, take them out and put them back. After, the connector for the screen, if you have an external monitor, connect it to the laptop and if you don't have the problem, try to disconnect the connector from the screen and reconnect it.
Hi, you seem having a connection problem, meaning a connector is not properly connected. Start with the RAMs, take them out and put them back. After, the connector for the screen, if you have an external monitor, connect it to the laptop and if you don't have the problem, try to disconnect the connector from the screen and reconnect it.

Solution

Jon Pate

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016

although sorting it out before reading this, after playing a game which told me i only had 4gb of ram when i should have 8, i opened up the laptop to check and although visibly it didn't look like anything was wrong on closer inspection the ramp was sliding in and out, hence why after a knock it would mess up. so you were exactly right.

thanks for the help and hopefully this issue will not arise again.