Laptop gpu throttling /under performing until battery charge reaches about 90%

Ddsmarwan

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hello there , I have an Asus vivobook s551 , I noticed that if i want to play a game ( I game when charger is plugged) the FPS of the game will be severely lowered , i didn't know what the problem was at first but i noticed that when the laptops battery got up to about 90% the performance went back to normal and the FPS were good again . what could be the issue here and how do i fix it ? It's really not convenient if i have to wait until my battery charges so i can game :S
Thanks in advance

Ddsmarwan

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
To be clear , this is not a temperature issue , cuz it happens when i start gaming . also , i can game for hours when laptop is fully charged without loss of performance . I'm thinking the gpu underclocks it self until theres enough charge in the battery ?

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
The first thing to do would be to make sure you are set to high/maximum performance in your powersettings (both unplugged and plugged in). Normally you would only see the throttling when not plugged in so it is a bit interesting that it is throttling you down while charging.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
What happens when you run it plugged in with the battery removed? Asus has their own power management feature which could be the culprit. You might try uninstalling that and see if that is the cause.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Yes, but it could be Asus's program causing the throttling, which is why I would try uninstalling it and seeing if the issue persists. Some of those proprietary battery performance programs can cause issues like that.