laptop hard drive can't be accessed on desktop

Simon_Zzz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hi all,

My laptop could't boot from its hard drive as I dropped it on floor, only an message saying 'a hard disk error occurred, please press crtl+alt+del to restart, however, it didn't work and repeatedly showed that message on the screen. I had 5 years work on the hard drive but now I had no access to it on the laptop as it wouldn't boot into Win7. I am sure the hard disk can be detected on a desktop, as it showed device info on 'my computer'. it also showed 27GB free space of 285GB. It also detected a 'system reserved' folder which is 99MB.

The only bit is you can't get access into any folder, any single file of the laptop non-boot hard drive. At the moment I didn't write anything in the non-boot drive, hope all data is safe still.

what can be done to retrieve all data from the non-boot one to either an external or directly into the desktop please? for the laptop itself, i am going to fit a new 2.5'' drive but to reinstall the Windows, thanks

Hi,

When you had that error when your HDD is still with your laptop that could only mean that the HDD is dead already. I would suggest connecting it onto a different PC or Laptop but since you've already done that and ended up the HDD is still not working that could only means that the HDD is completely dead already.

Do also try using it an external HDD using an enclosure that may also do the trick.
Here's a sample of a HDD enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182313

Simon_Zzz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

thanks for your advice.

forgot to mention that the desktop i used to connect the non-boot hard drive was also a Windows OS, however, the data on the faulty drive could be accessed and read on an iMac, and i could feel that the drive was spinning, everything was still safe and i could access to every single file.

i will buy that enclosure anyway, but not to write anything on the faulty hd, just to prevent from causing more damage or losing data.

TRENDING THREADS