Laptop has a hard time detecting switchable graphics.

silentspeedz

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
Hi,

I currently have the Lenovo Y50 and I accidentally dropped it (while it was off) and although everything seems to be fine, the laptop tends to have a difficult time detecting my GTX 860m.

Three things usually happen randomly:

1. Works perfectly fine.

2. Works fine then suddenly game lags and sound lags and I alt-tab to see an error message saying that gpu drivers successfully recovered (Used DDU in safe mode and reinstalled both my intel and my nvidia drivers).

3. The laptop fails to detect my GTX 860. Whenever I try to open a game, the game tells me it cannot open without a graphics device. I look in my Geforce Experience to find that it does not detect my GTX 860m.

Is there anything I can do other than reinstall drivers (which I have already done many times)? Thanks alot in advance.

silentspeedz

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
Hi, Thanks for the response.

I want to hold off on opening up the laptop because the screws are about to bust (meaning that the t shape screws are not t shape anymore because I used a horrible screw drivers when I opened it to install the ssd) However, I experimented and found out some more information.

1. If I turn on the pc with the power plugged in, it detects the gpu fine and the GeForce Experience states that Nvidia Shield is ready.

2. If I turn on the pc with the power plugged in, it detects the gpu fine but if I unplug it and check once more, it fails to detect the gpu. (Geforce Experience states that Nvidia Shield is not ready and that my PC does not meet the requirements (shows that I need a geforce GTX GPU..). If I then plug it back in, it still fails to detect the gpu.

3. If I turn on the pc with the power UNPLUGGED, it detects the gpu fine and Geforce Experience states that Nvidia Shield is ready.

On the side note:

* I noticed that my "plugged in" power led is always on no matter if it plugged or unplugged.

* HWMonitor only detects the gpu's fan information WHEN the gpu is NOT detected. When it is detected and working fine, nothing is displayed on HWMonitor about the GTX unless I start a game. When the gpu is not detected, HWMonitor shows the the GTX fan information only, even when I'm not in a game.

Is this problem even related to me dropping the laptop or is it a coincidence that these problems occur some time after I dropped it?