Laptop has Black screen upon turning on, with mouse Cursor only

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hey guys can anyone please help with this issue? I read The other posts, but to no avail as I'm not experienced in tech issues as well.

I have a Lenovo T420 laptop and for 3 days now, when turning the laptop on, the screen goes black and only the mouse cursor is visible on it. No blue windows startup screen, I have windows 7

Can anyone please guide for the layman how to rectify the issue? In a piecemeal fashion, I have
No idea how to start "Bios" or what it's called or how to navigate these matters.

Any help is super appreciated, need my laptop on ASAP. Is there anyone available?

Solution
It makes me wonder if a few components could be going. The hard drive, the graphics card and/or the display. Can't hurt to run some checks on each.

Idk302

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Hey guys, I have the same problem... I tried the thing with sticky keys but when I tried to get to the control panel, the same error occured - explorer.exe was unable to start correctly. Do you know what should I do? I'm not really good at this kind of stuff..

w.amol86

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

Thanks for this post.... my laptop problem is solved...

koechiankipyegon

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

mikeinbagnoles

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017

Well it's restoring!

chetrysiddharth88

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018

Feb 13, 2018

Feb 13, 2018
Ok so I know that this was posted a while back but I have a problem that is kinda the same and wanted to see if I could get help see I turn my laptop on and I press a button and screen goes black like this persons laptop does aswell and I have tried everything u have said but nothing works

Feb 20, 2018
Hey, the same thing just happened to me. It's easy. For mine I just press down the power key to completely shut it down and then remove the battery and re insert it , this restores the system I guess. Try it and see if it works.

Mar 27, 2018
uotemsg=18635404,0,2224605]Try this....

1. Press "Shift" repeatedly until the "sticky keys" window show ups.

2. Now click the the link there that will lead to the "Ease of Access Center".

I don’t see the link that would lead me to the Ease of Access Center.

All I see is the sticky keys pop up. Please help. I don’t wonna lose my data on my hard drive.

Mar 31, 2018

Same im psd

Apr 2, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.