Laptop has Black screen upon turning on, with mouse Cursor only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hey guys can anyone please help with this issue? I read The other posts, but to no avail as I'm not experienced in tech issues as well.

I have a Lenovo T420 laptop and for 3 days now, when turning the laptop on, the screen goes black and only the mouse cursor is visible on it. No blue windows startup screen, I have windows 7

Can anyone please guide for the layman how to rectify the issue? In a piecemeal fashion, I have
No idea how to start "Bios" or what it's called or how to navigate these matters.

Any help is super appreciated, need my laptop on ASAP. Is there anyone available?

Solution
It makes me wonder if a few components could be going. The hard drive, the graphics card and/or the display. Can't hurt to run some checks on each.
Try this....

1. Press "Shift" repeatedly until the "sticky keys" window show ups.

2. Now click the the link there that will lead to the "Ease of Access Center".

3. Next click "Cancel" on the the bottom right corner of the "Set Up Sticky Keys" window.

4. From here you want to click "Control Panel" on the upper left corner (it should be right beside the "Make Your Computer Easier to Use" title.

5. Locate the "Computer Settings" menu and then choose the "Recovery" icon (make sure that your view of this is by either large or small icons for easier access).

6. Now click and open "System Restore".

7. Here you want to click next on the bottom right corner (a few times) until the button "Finish" shows up and then click it. (Just follow everything prompt that the window says which will lead you to recovering your previous system, in a certain time.

8. The computer will now do the work it needs to and then reboot.

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hey Webworkings, I pressed shift repeatedly but the sticky keys isn't showing (did it on the black screen and mouse cursor only screen upon start up)

stoopiedas

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Wouldn't that bring him back to an early version? If he had the windows cd I would say just use start up repair if not see if you can boot to safe mode.

Make sure the computer would be finished loading. Not on the initial start, like you would to enter BIOS. :)

You can also try doing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see if you can get "Task Manager" to show.

If the "Task Manager" windows shows, then choose "New Task" and then type in EXPLORER. If the desktop shows up then you need to go into "Start", "Programs", then "Accessories" and finally "Command Prompt". (Or you can do a search for CMD.)

Make sure you load the "Command Prompt" with Administrator access. Then when it loads type in....

SFC /SCANNOW

It will do a file check.

To learn more about "SFC" visit this link at Microsoft... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

stoopiedas

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Good idea! I didn't think of that. Baller8 should try this.

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hey guys, I was able to get to sticky keys and the RECOVERY icon and SYSTEM RESTORE but only via safe mode (without networking) . I wouldn't wanna lose data or files if I do system restore but is this what you suggest first over the SFC SCANNOW directions you alluded to?

stoopiedas

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

no do the scan now first it could help you fix windows

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Webworkings, I also waited until the laptop finished loading upon restart and pressed ctrl alt delete with the black screen and cursor only showing but it does nothing

stoopiedas

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Also try booting into safemode and disabling all of the drivers and see if one of those is the cause of the problem. if it is just go through and find the ne that is causing it and shut it off

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hey Stoopiedas, I chose safe mode (non networking, black desktop) and can now access Task manager "New Task" button on the bottom. Now I'll follow those directions ..

stoopiedas

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

if it is stil black in safe mode i dont think my directions would work for the drivers

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

Just the desktop was black which is standard for safe mode but the scan completed and found no integrity issue it said, Windows Resource protection

Baller8

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

Hey, yeah I did system restore ! Thanks a lot, this did the trick, occasionally tho when the laptop wakes from sleep mode the screen stays black with no cursor even visible, making me restart r,. Any thoughts on that?

Noor_faraz

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

Its really worked bro..thanks alot

Errol_3

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.