Laptop has single input/output, and microphone wont work on it.

dj0ntleman

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
I have an Asus laptop, and it has a the combined audio/mic jack, but when i plug my headphones the microphone doesn't work, but the audio does.

Solution
It sounds like the jack may not be a combo jack, but only an input jack. Which is is quite common anymore. Check the specs to the device to make sure this isn't the issue.

If it is, in fact, a combo jack, then first I would test the headset/mic you are using on a different device to make sure there is nothing wrong with that first. If it works fine, then you may well have a loose connection, or the jack is damaged.

If this is the case, and the device is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer about a repair or replacement. If it isn't under warranty any longer, then it is up to you if you feel comfortable opening it up and checking it, or take it to someone who can do the work.
In order to fix this you need to enter your windows audio settings. Right click on the volume icon and click 'Recording Devices'.
Once you have done this select the device you want and again, right click and set as the default device.

It sounds like the jack may not be a combo jack, but only an input jack. Which is is quite common anymore. Check the specs to the device to make sure this isn't the issue.

If it is, in fact, a combo jack, then first I would test the headset/mic you are using on a different device to make sure there is nothing wrong with that first. If it works fine, then you may well have a loose connection, or the jack is damaged.

If this is the case, and the device is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer about a repair or replacement. If it isn't under warranty any longer, then it is up to you if you feel comfortable opening it up and checking it, or take it to someone who can do the work.

Solution