Laptop High CPU Temps

Conn531

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
I have had a MSI Apache Pro gaming laptop for roughly a year. Ever since i got it, i noticed many of the games that i played had a strange stuttering issue even though i had fairly high fps. I did not concern myself with this until recently when i finally had enough and began looking for a solution. After checking my CPU temperature using the MSI Dragon Gaming Center application, i noticed that i have some really high CPU temperatures. The laptop would idle around 70°C and during most games, reach 95°C and cap itself at that temp. The only way to lower the temperature was to set the computer on battery save mode. This resulted in temperatures around 85°C during gaming. It seemed like this was the cause of my stuttering since i figured that the CPU was limiting itself to avoid damage. I opened the case and checked for dust, however the inside was almost perfect and then re-applied thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. The temps almost seem worse now. During high performance mode, Idle temperatures are around 75 or 80°C but bounce around randomly, sometimes up to 90°C for a second before lowering again. The fan works great and i do not know what else to do about this. I found a forum where other MSI Apache Pro owners were saying that this is normal for this laptop but i find that hard to believe. Is there something that i am overlooking, or anything else i could do to try and lower the temperatures? thanks for any help you could give me!

I'd expect it to idle at 50C max and game at 80C max. Laptops get warm. Gaming ones more so. But they are made to survive.

Use fresh AS5 or MX4 thermal paste? Just a rice grain of it? Clean all the old paste off with rubbing alcohol?

Conn531

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Booted it up today and noticed that it's idling a little lower than usual, around 60-65°C in high performance mode. I guess I will just keep an eye on it and try not to let it run too hot for long.

Conn531

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Not really, I try to keep it pretty clean from any extra software but just to make sure, ill try to clean up any unused programs and files and see if that helps. Thanks for your input.