LAptop high ram usage, fan wont stop

RcPro97

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Hi, my brother has a hp pavilion dv6 running windows 7. The computer has high ram usage all the time, even at idle. Also the fan contentious runs, even when the lid has closed. I cant see what in the task manager is causing the high ram usage. The other day my brother said that it have a high temperature warning before shutting down.

The computer is about 3 years old now and I'm wondering what it wrong with it. Or could be be time for a new operating system?

Thanks.

Solution
New OS is unlikely to help a hardware issue.

This would be easier if you listed the specs of the notebook.

The CPU may be running too warm. Can use software like Core Temp to monitor the temp of the cpu.

If the temps are high, the first thing to do is to vacuum out the vents, and use compressed air to get rid of the accumulated dirt. If that does not do the trick, then take aprt the notebook as Maikutech suggested, and clean off any further dirt, and also find the CPU, clean off the old thermal paste, and apply new stuff.

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
Take his laptop and go into a room with alot of light. look at his vents on the side, and check underneath.
Do you see any dust or what not built up, power it on and see how his fans do.
Also since your brother mentioned a high tempature before shutting down.
Its the cpu over heating, you will need to take this into a computer shop, and have them replace the thermal pad and apply new cpu grease onto his chip.

Technicians will charge about 89.99 to 150.00 bucks to do this if you and brother decide that.
Thats the sad part about fixing that problem.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
New OS is unlikely to help a hardware issue.

This would be easier if you listed the specs of the notebook.

The CPU may be running too warm. Can use software like Core Temp to monitor the temp of the cpu.

If the temps are high, the first thing to do is to vacuum out the vents, and use compressed air to get rid of the accumulated dirt. If that does not do the trick, then take aprt the notebook as Maikutech suggested, and clean off any further dirt, and also find the CPU, clean off the old thermal paste, and apply new stuff.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS