Laptop immediately shut off without warning while charging and will not turn back on with or without charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Mal

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Today while using my laptop it turned off immediately without any warning while it was plugged in to charge. There wasn't any notice that the laptop was going to turn off or that I should plug in the laptop to avoid losing any unsaved data. It won't turn back on with or without the charger. When the charger is plugged into a socket the charger light comes on but it goes off when I plug the charger into the laptop and the laptop won't charge or turn on. I should also mention that the first time I tried to plug in the laptop with the battery still inside it sparked. I removed the battery, plugged in the charger to the laptop and it sounded like the plug/jack short circuited.

Steven Mal

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I tried that and it still won't turn on. How expensive and difficult is it to replace a laptop power jack?

Steven Mal

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

It's an Alienware M18x from 2011.

entimaniac

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014
I fried my macbook pro with faulty power adapter. My girlfriend's mom is handy at fixing cables and I thoughtlessly tried out her "fixed" cable on my laptop and it shut it down immediately. I even smelled a little smoke. If you see a spark on a computer at all, that is a very bad thing. The smallest static discharge can seriously mess up your components--professionals will work on static free surfaces and wear straps that ground them to metal surfaces to discharge any static before it can damage a component. The best thing to hope for is that you have a bad battery, charger, or bad port. Otherwise, it sounds to me like you might need to do some other, more serious replacements. If I wasn't under warranty with my macbook at the time, It was going to be around $1000 for the logic board and other components. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.